Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying HRG scheme on small Genset

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogienugz

Electrical
Oct 6, 2007
CA
Hi,

Anyone here have applied a HRG (high resistance grounding) scheme on a 60kW EDG? Our process engineers are saying that the system that the EDG is supplying should be ON at all time as much as possible but I feel that putting one on that small load is not worth spending a NEMA 3R resistor bank + SE-330 relay + signal wiring , etc. If the load is several hundreds of kVA then I'd most probably be comfortable. Has anyone done this or may came up with a different approach to keep the EDG on even when there is a Ground Fault?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the system is that critical they should be using Uninterruptible Power Supplies.
If you list the issues that will compromise the operation of a diesel generator I suspect that ground faults may be far down the list.
Once HRG was used to provide service with a ground on one phase.
Now NRG is used to limit fault current.
There is not that much fault current from a 60 KVA set.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

If there are line-to-neutral loads, you must solidly ground. Even if not, high-resistance ground on a 60kW would be uncommon. I've never seen it on a machine that small.

Same here, I've never seen one applied on a 60kW, 600V EDG and we don't have a L-N loads. And, Waross, you just brought up a good point there. Reliability doesn't only mean 'working even if there is a GF'. Reliability also applies to other discipline, NON-electrical discipline. I've put in an NGR for now in my design like I did with the other areas (but those have 500kW, 600V gensets). Let me see how this goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back