Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying Load at Specific point 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramin88

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2012
GB
Hi Guys

I'm working at the moment with a model in Abaqus and I want to apply a concentrated force on a specific section of my part (i.e. 2cm from the left 4cm from the top) but in my model I'm not able to see any points or i cant select a point where i would like the force to act. the part that im working with is imported into abaqus.
(but i can select nodes after meshing my part and just choose it in a view port and save it as a set and then apply the loads on those predefined sets but the problem is choosing the location in this way will not be accurate enough)

Any suggestion/idea/thought would be great to hear from all of you
Regards
Ramin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know, you cannot do it the way you want. You can not have a load on a point that's not in your mesh.
But you can:

1. partition your model twice so the cross of both partitions is at your desired location (and so it will put a point there after meshing).
2. apply the force on the 3 (or 4 or 5) closest nodes so that the sum equals your value.

The second option might give better stability and less local deformation, depending on the magnitude of your force and stiffness of your material.

If I understand the problem correctly, all you need to do is create a reference point and kinematically couple it to the node(s) that is/are of interest. But first, you may need to create a datum point to be able to select that point in CAE to create a reference point.

I have no idea, both sdebock and IceBreakerSours are true. I only connect their idea:
If point inside the part do as sdebock
If not do as IceBreakerSours and make a coupling constrain.
That's all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back