Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying new boundary conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kac209

Structural
Nov 28, 2012
US
I would like to perform an analysis so that the first step is static and the second step applies a harmonic vibration. Nodes are displaced in the first step. I would like to constrain some nodes to the position they end up in after the first step to their "new position" for the proceding steady state analysis step. Help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you know those nodes needed to be constrained initially, you can easily apply a boundary condition which is activated in the second step only. In case the nodes will be displaced at the firs step and the BC will be applied at that position.

Otherwise you can define a new step between your steps and find out those nodes to be constrained and brought them back in the new position, which will be not propagated on the third step.

If in the first step I displace node A 1" in the 1 direction, node B translates n inches in the 2 direction. In the second step when I apply

*boundary, fixed
nodeB, 2

node B is translated back to node B's original position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back