Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying the NB Mark for Section I replacement parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

blrdude

Mechanical
Jan 8, 2010
CA
Newbie question:

When supplying Section I replacement parts where the P4 indicates the NB number, is the manufacturer required to stamp the original NB number and NB mark onto the part?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the reply metengr.

This would apply to headers, tube panels with headers, etc.

When would you have to stamp the NB number onto the component, other than for OEM? Would there be a difference if we were supplying parts for an alteration vs an inkind replacement component?

blrdude;
Per the NBIC, if these components are being installed as a repair for the pressure retaining item, the only stamping that is required would be a repair nameplate. I don't see any requirement for stmaping the item unless the Inspector and Owner-User prefer to have the item stamped versus a nameplate.

Also, is there a section in the NBIC or Section I that provides guidelines for applying the stamp specifically parts other than OEM supply?

I realize that the adoption of NBIC varies depending on the jurisdiction, however I'm hoping there are some clear guidelines if the original boiler was registered with the NBIC.

I've reviewed the NBIC site without success. They provide some info, however I believe it applies to OEM registration.

btw, this forum is a great resource. I'll definitely try to contribute in the future.

metengr, you're too quick for me. I posted the 2nd question without realizing you had already replied. The issue is stemming from our local AI that is stating it's a mandatory requirement to stamp the NB mark and number onto a component if the P4 specifies the NB number. Personally I don't believe this is the case. At least I cannot find any backup supporting his position.

blrdude;
In the 2004 Edition/2006 Addendum of the NBIC refer the AI to the following

Mandatory Appendix 2 Stamping and Nameplate information

2-1000 Scope

Stamping a nameplate OR the item is permitted. I would recommend you insist on a repair nameplate. I never like to stamp items even using low stress stamps.

We are a "stampholder/manufacturer" who just fabricated dozens of "replacement/repair" pipe spools for an existing NB registered boiler. We have nothing to do with the installation of the "parts" that we shipped. We have nothing to do with registering the repair after our parts are installed. The erector must be a stampholder and register the repair with the NB at completion.

After dissecting Section I and consulting with our AI, we did not register the "parts" with the NB. If we had EACH SPOOL WOULD HAVE BEEN REQUIRED TO HAVE IT'S OWN NB# STAMPED ON IT.

We DID mark each spool per PG-106.8.1 and 106.8.2 (Stamped if >5" O.D. Stenciled if </= 5" O.D.) and gave each an in-house S/N for MTR/WELD tracability. PG-106.8.2 says markings only have to remain legible until parts are installed.

We supplied the P-4's to the customer so that the erector may register the repair with the NB.

Bryan

To further clarify... in our case PG-108.1 and PG-107.2 placed Code Responsibility for the boiler on the BOILER MANUFACTURER and the BOILER ASSEMBLER (Erector). Code Responsibility was not placed on us as manufacturer of "parts." The "Boiler Manufacturer" was our customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back