Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying Torsion to Composite Cylinder - Very high shear modulus

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny1230

Materials
Feb 7, 2015
GB
Hi All

I am new to FEMAP, after using Abaqus and Ansys for many years. I am modelling a fibre reinforced composite cylinder, and applied Torque to one end of the model and fixed the other end, mimicking the a torsion test. I have listed my steps here in image below.

FEMAP_gmvfjv.jpg

The in- plane shear modulus of the cylinder is coming out twice it is supposed to be. And even with a different layup it is much higher than it should be. I have taken the applied moment from the cross-section end subjected to torsion and found the shear stresses and used the rotation to determine shear strain (which all sounds right). I do not know where I am going wrong.

Can anyone advice ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey, thanks for your reply. I am using the applied torque obtained from the end under rotation and using that value of torque obtaining the shear stresses. My analytical predictions are obtained from FEMAP itself, which is obtained when feeding in the layup, and clicking on compute which used classic laminate theory to determine the in-plane shear modulus.

If I use the constraint moments, the shear modulus values will be significantly be lower.

I did try, it is giving me shear modulus of 4.49 GPa which I entered in material model as shear modulus of matrix. The predicted shear modulus was 26 GPa. I dont understand where I am goimg wrong.

Hi all many thanks for your help. I have solved the problem. It was my calculation error, as the axial modulus came out just fine and shear modulus was not working, so I went back and checked my calculation. I took the applied torque for calculating shear stresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back