Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arbitrarily deform/bend/scale geometry of parametric model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morans

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2009
US
Hello! I have an unusual request from a customer of mine, at least compared to most of the modeling that I do, but essentially what I'm looking for is a way to bend/morph/deform a parametric model (if possible)... similar to how the modifiers work in 3DsMAX for anyone familiar with it.

To be a little more specific, I helped design a product that will be made out of a thin pliable plastic, similar to a plastic laundry basket, and the product is meant to deform in a fairly specific way. My customer wants me to show this model, which is pretty complex to begin with, is it's deformed state. I've racked my brain trying to figure out how to do this and I can't come up with anything. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate, it just has to look pretty for various presentations and such.

I've attempted exporting it out to 3DsMax in hopes of modifying it there and re-importing it back into NX, but it converts it to a mesh and completely screws the geometry up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As the geometry seems to be rather challenging I would try Global Shaping tool. It's really powerful morphing tool with complex geometry as well.

If you have a license, Realize Shape might be another option - I've never had to utilize it for this purpose, but it uses a subdivision modeling approach. Not sure how will or easy it would be to work on a mostly finished model.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.3.4 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

I second the suggestion to look into Global Shaping. The help files aren't the best on it, but there are some youtube videos that help.

-Dave

NX 9, Teamcenter 10

The problem with not being able to edit your posts has been reported to the powers-that-be and it's being worked on.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Thanks John!

So I played around with Global Shaping and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to find a tutorial to get it to do quite what I'm looking for. If anyone has experience with Global Shaping and can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If you look below, you can see a greatly simplified example of what I'd like to do. I have a circular, shelled solid, that I want to transition into the sketch on top at about 80% of the solids height which is represented by the blue datum plane. It looks like "To Curves" type is what I should be using judging by the icon but can't figure out how to use it without getting errors.

Untitled-1_ctkpc7.png

Or if it works better with the tool, not even transitioning into a sketch. Just "denting" the solid body at the top-center would do exactly what I need it to as well I'd assume.

global_shaping_example_txbfjc.jpg

That can be done with Global Shaping. I did the example with By Surface option. The problem is though that what works with this greatly simplified model might not work with the actual model at all. Although I think that By Surface is the way to go with that model too.

You said that the model was something like a laundry basket. If you use the By Surface option I would create a very simple surface that resembles the actual basket model. Then from that surface I'd create the morphed model, using X-Form or something like that. Then you can morph the actual solid model using the simplified surface model as the base and the morphed surface model as the control surface.

There might be an easier or better way for this but that's one way I would try doing it. If you can provide a simplified version of the real model that would help a lot. In case you need more assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back