Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arc Flash Calculation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How complex is the system??

Learn its principal. Review IEEE 1584 and NFPA 70E. You will have to buy them. Attend one or two seminars. One offered by Univeristy of Wisconsin in MD was excellent in June 2006. Check their web site.

Softwares such as SKM have arc flash modules, but you need to learn how they work and what they calculate.

The easiest way will probally cause someone to get hurt, follow rbulsaras advidce and do it right.

Now if your business is field service at multiple site locations then you may want to learn some easier ways but you will end up wearing extra protection due to the conservatism of those methods.

We provide arc flash analysis and NFPA 70E compliance seminars, so do others but do your resarch before attending, some courses are just meant to sell a product.

Scott Peterson
Training Manager
Power Plus Engineering

I agree with Scott,

If you need this done soon, then you're best off to call in a consultant that does these on a regular basis. If you have a couple / few months, then perhaps you could buy the codes and go to some seminars. Arc Flash analysis can be quite involved. A proper Arc Flash analysis won't only tell you what your category is for each piece of equipment in question, but it will also give you solutions to reduce your Arc Flash risk category in areas where it is high.

I don't see how the OEM can do the calculation. It depends in part on the fault current available, which depends on the power system supplying the equipment.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Electricpete is right on. The information required to do an arc flash analysis will come from the end user (and the utility). I'd say trying to pin that requirement on the OEM wouldn't be the way to go.

This was a hot topic during 2005 NEC revision cycle, as I recall. There was a proposal to require OEM to provide detailed arc-flash labeling on new equipment, but ultimately this was rejected due to the problems stated. But I'm sure it will be (or has been) proposed again.

No, only that equipment shall be labeled for the hazard. But the only meaningful arc flash calculations are those made with the equipment as part of the circuit in which it is installed. There is no way that an equipment OEM can have sufficient information to make those calculations. Arc flash is an owner issue, plain and simple. The owner can hire out the calculations, and most owners would be well advised to do so, but the calculations have to be made with the equipment installed in the actual circuit in which it will be used and evaluated with the the prospective fault currents of that installation and the clearing times associated with those fault currents. No other calculations will have any meaning.

Arc flash or not, Owner is responsible to meet all Codes. He/she in turn can hire someone to do the expert job but still it is up to Owner to make the effort to get the job done right.

It is a different matter that once agreeing to perform a design, the design professional is liable for his part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back