Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARC FLASH LABELING - NFPA 70E Article 130.5 (D) Equipment Labeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2016
US

Hello All,

I was curious about NFPA 70E Article 130.5 (D) Equipment Labeling. The article states "Electrical equipment such as switchboards, panelboards, industrial control panels, meter socket enclosures, and motor control centers that are in other than dwelling units and that are likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall be field-marked with a label." My question is if you did not account for every "control panel" on the project that was not within your purchase order or clearly labeled on your "scope" of work at the beginning of the project have you violated this code statement? I would think that if a contractor had an energized work permit to work on something live and the equipment (maybe a control panel or remote VFD) did not have a label on it they would not touch it until further consultation. Thank you again for your help.

Best Regards,
Engineer in Training

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a fallback position in NFPA 70E that allows work in the absence of labels if the work is done in accordance with the task tables included in NFPA 70E.

old field guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back