Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arc-Flash Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

triver525

Electrical
Jul 28, 2003
CA
Can anyone direct me towards a useful and informative Arc-flash training course? I recently attended an Arc-flash information session which has caused me to see the requirement of safety boundary calculations. I work for a smaller consulting company and I can see this as a deficieny in the technical knowledge our company possesses.

I am interested in attending a comprehensive course covering both the NFPA 70E and IEEE 1584 codes and calculations as well as mitigation techniques. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. I see this becoming much more of a concern in Canada in the coming years.

Thank you,
Whitney

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You Could Check out ESA they give classes on these topics. There are also other Companies who have classes that are similar. They also have a software package for this that they will teach you to use. Their web site is ww.easypower.com

Check You can contact Ferraz Shawmut Canada at tor.techserv@ferrazshawmut.com to make arrangements for arcflash seminar tailored specifically for Canadian customers.

If one day you decide do the analysis on your own, you can check out offering free IEEE 1584 based arcflash calculator and comprehensive short circuit analysis tool (you'll need to perform accurate system short circuit analysis before you can apply either the IEEE 1584 or NFPA70E methodology for arcflash hazard analysis)

Check with the Dupont corporation their electrical division
will help you at no cost with all that Arc Flash related stuff, and they even carry AF resistant clothing for service employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back