Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Architect is copy-pasting underpinning design from another project - I'm worried about my risks 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffre14

Structural
Jul 30, 2008
US
As a structural engineering firm, in response to very specific scope RFP, we were hired to provide sizing of masonry lintels and wood joist sizes--nothing else.

We are not stamping any plans or calculations. Our sizes were communicated to the architect via email, to be incorporated into their plans.

I have come to find out that the architect is copy-pasting an underpinning design from a neighboring, similar building.

I have suggested both verbally and in written emails that they hire an underpinning engineer. I have also suggested that a lateral analysis should be performed due to the large openings they are creating in the existing shear walls; my firm is capable of this work but it is outside our scope per the contract. To date, the architect has ignored our advice.

I am very worried that--because we are the only engineer on the team and despite not stamping any work--we could face risk if something goes wrong. Even if nothing collapses, any delays due to someone else flagging the project (building dept, contractor, neighboring residents), my firm could get roped into litigation.

I would quit the job if I was wasn't worried about being somehow liable for not performing to the contract we've entered. The fee is tiny. (Obviously, this is all occurring because the architect is trying to pinch pennies.)

I can't tell if I am overreacting.

What would you recommend? Am I overreacting? I've made my opinion clear to the architect in writing, and I am stamping nothing. Is the architect taking on all the risk and do I have none?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tell him that you feel an extreme need to protect yourself from his irresponsible actions and will formally notify the architecture licensing board of your discovery, with a CC to the engineering board. That would make a "public" record of your attempt to rectify the situation and would also considerably help your case in any future action.

One of the hardest lesson to learn in private practice is whom you do not want to work with.

Is the Architect a licensed Architect, or acting under the heading of 'Architect' when they are in fact designers. I would be hard pressed to find a licensed Architect providing structural details of this magnitude on their drawings...

Have you notified the engineer whose work is being used without his permission? I would do so immediately. Maybe he knows about it and gave permission, or maybe not and he will raise holy hell. Two on one is more favorable odds.

You note your scope is specific to masonry lintels and that you think the lateral load resisting system is questionable with the new openings. On that one I think you are on the hook. You sized a lintel for a large opening in a shearwall, you can't exclude the affect it has on the shearwall. It would have been easier if you held the lintel design back until the Arch agreed to the increase in scope to include lateral. You may need to do some calcs on your own and see if you think it makes a difference or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back