Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Architects vs. Engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Contact the state engineering board (or look at the rules/regulations online). They typically outline which structures require professionals to design and which do not require professionals.

I'll throw in my two cents. In the state of Florida, the line is nearly impossible to define. I contacted the state board and got back an email response from a lawyer. It was written very lawyer-y - lots of wiggle room. These were the first two sentences of his response: "I have no definitive answer for you. There is no statutory bright line between architects & engineers other than PEs cannot call themselves architects when they provide design services." I took his repsonse to mean that if I can show that I had to engineer something in the building and I am competent to do other phases, then I could provide the entire design. I'm not going to take on more than I can handle, but if a client needs plans for a PEM or a light commercial building, I've got no problem with taking the job. If I need to sub something out to an SE or an EE, I do it.

Other states are probably different.

The reason I am asking is I have about 5 years of architectural experience though I got my degree in Civil Engineering and work as a licensed structural engineer. In addition, I'm am in the process of starting my own business and wondering if I could design buildings completely other than mechanical and electrical which I have no experience with.

You WILL have to check with your state board and will probably NOT get a satisfactory answer.

I had a very specific building and question and put it to my board. I am an engineer. The engineer side said "Sure". The architect side said "NO"

I asked them to call each other - but they wouldn't

The Architects must have a better union (or less self-doubt) because they always seem to be permitted greater latitude in what they can seal.

The ego of an Architect makes them think they can do anything. Including but not limited to Site Grading, Structural systems, HVAC, Open Heart Surgery and Head Chef at their restaurant. All while charging the client 6-10 percent of the total cost.

Just remember the client is always correct, unless your client is an Architect.

No question that AIA is a much more influencial organization than ASCE. I have often wondered why. Is it because structural engineers are only a small part of ASCE?

Architects make buildings look pretty, inside and out. Engineers make sure the Math is pretty enough to hold the building up in an earthquake.

The best way to test something is to squeeze it, slowly, until it breaks!

I think that the public perception is that architects design buildings, as in the whole thing. As usual the engineers and the engineering is in the background. Check with your state though; when I was in school I worked for a company as a house designer, we did not claim to be architects nor engineers, but we designed some beautiful houses that were built.

Architectural Engineering is taught in the midwest and the graduates get Registration as Architects and can engineer all systems incorporated into their buildings. Blanket derogatory statements are a bad reflection on the person stating that opinion.

I have an AE degree from Oklahoma State. I have not tried to get an architectural license with my AE structures degree. I do not believe I would qualify without an accredited architectural degree.

"I have no definitive answer for you. There is no statutory bright line between architects & engineers other than PEs cannot call themselves architects when they provide design services."

Sounds like they still have a problem with "Hanging Chads" in Florida... [bigsmile]

Apparently, the bottom line is it is up to the board, based on your education and experience, as how to license you.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

I practice engineering in the Province of Ontario. The Ontario Building Code is very specific about where the services of an Architect versus and Engineer is required. It is based on the size of the building. Maybe the state Building Codes have definitions in them.

Cvanoverbeke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back