Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Are Permitted Construction Drawings Public Record? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope3

Structural
Dec 24, 2015
US
Aside from critical infrastructure or high rise construction where there could be concern of public safety; do you think that construction drawings are public record? I am noticing some (not all) building departments that will prohibit release of ANY permitted construction drawings without a release from the building owner and engineer. Sometimes they give the excuse of copyright. Wondering what your experience is on this subject.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think permitted drawings should be kept secret except for the owner, who has the right to give it to whomever he/she sees fit. The government's job is just to keep the record and act on it as needed, similar to health records. Reasons:
1. I wouldn't want random people to know about the house I live in.
2. Drawings contain proprietary information. Having them released publicly is like asking software developers to release their source code. It reduces the incentive for companies to innovate and devalues the work.

Drawings should always be available to the owner of the property, but shouldn't need the engineer to release them. Beyond privacy, there are significant public safety concerns to releasing drawings to the public (not just ocean's 11 hollywood heists, but terrorist attacks targeting the structure/hvac/etc), not really outweighed by the essentially zero benefit of making them accessible.

To get archived drawings in Winnipeg, you need the permission and release from the owner. Done it lots of times... [pipe]

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I deal a lot with condominium associations and multifamily buildings. Due to lack of interest, changing management personnel, poor storage and the like, permitted drawings are often not available. Since I also deal with the litigation of these projects, it's important to have the plans the structure was supposedly constructed under. Having those accessible from the local building department saves time and money in the evaluation, litigation and remediation process. In my jurisdiction, plans are available as scanned documents for $25 (US).

I could be wrong !!!
Drawings should be available to public (at least the old dated structures)
these drawings are teaching tools [and assist other engineers to learn and progress]
asking Junior engineers to came up with tall structures or underground utilities [is WRONG, and happened many times]
always pass my drawings to colleagues to get feedback and sometimes corrections ....
Many times, did start from existing structural drawings and developed it to something completely different [it save time and give ideas]

I recently had to file a FOIL request to get the permit drawings for a private residence. This jurisdiction allowed anyone to request site plans, but anything with a floor plan on it required the owners consent via a separate form. Seemed like a fair way to do things. It's more paper work and can slow things down, but I don't like the idea of just anybody being able to see the floor plan of a private home. It seems like a violation of privacy. Just like I can select who to invite into my home, I should be able to select who can see the floor plans. I also don't have any expectation of privacy in my yard (at least when in view of the street) so site plans seem like fair game, and utility connection information could be useful to a number of organizations.

I agree that the owner should be the only release required. They paid for the design and I have always figured they can do as they see fit with the drawings as long as they don't try and build a second structure down the street with them. However, I don't work in a jurisdiction where calculations are submitted for permit. I can see the proprietary information argument making more sense in a jurisdiction that also has the calculations on file.

Here in California, you can request plans for structures through the County Building Dept. You may not copy the drawings or take photos. You you can review the plans and take notes, sometimes including special calculations and inspections documents. These may be any combination of plans, microfiche or digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back