Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are pipeline surge loads considered PRIMARY

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilukshi

Structural
Jan 30, 2003
GB
Hi

Could someone let me know whether the pipeline surge loads are considred primary loads in the design of the support structure?

I am designing a bridge and a pipe trestle to an oil jetty. It is not clear in my mind that the surge loads are considered primary or secondary.

Thanks in advance.

Dilukshi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They are real loads if that helps. I don't know what the difference is in your code but for a pipe trestle I would consider them as primary.

Michael.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Michael

Thanks a lot.

Are there any reference documents or guidelines that I can make reference to in my calculations?

If you can let me know any American/British standards or a particular document or guidelines I would be most grateful.

Kind regards
Dilukshi

dilukshi, I don't know of any codes specifically for pipe bridges. It was the standard design practice when I started work. I worked for the London offices of American companies building refineries all over Europe in the fifties. Most of the oil companies had their own standards that sometimes covered what we were doing. It was a real load so we designed for it. I haven't worked on refineries since the mid sixties, so codes may exist now.

Michael.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

If this were the Canadian Building Code, then I'd say it qualifies as a principal load (and hence the 1.5 factor), but that the companion loads that go with it would be limited... i.e. you wouldn't use wind or seismic loads in combination with it. Therefore, I think I'd use:
1.25*DL + 1.5*Surge + 0.5*Thermal
0.9*DL + 1.5*Surge + 0.5*Thermal

Hoever, if I were to have a temperature load as my principal load, then I need to include the surge loading as a companion loading associated with it. Therefore, I'd probably also have:

1.25*DL + 1.5*Thermal + 0.5 * Surge
0.9*DL + 1.5*Thermal + 0.5 * Surge

Dear All

Thank you for your response and the information.

I've been reading about the water-hammer. This makes me wonder whether depending on what the pipeline is carrying, such as high density fluids (e.g. bitumen, the effect may be different.

Any thoughts?

Best regards
Dilukshi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back