Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

stair guardrail loads 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

struct_eeyore

Structural
Feb 21, 2017
US
Hi all. I'm working on repairing an old exterior wood stair, and am struggling to come up with a proper way to resolve the 250 lb @ 42" lateral loads at the guard posts.
The stringers are 2X12 - with the treads cut in, they are 5" deep in cross section, so there isn't much of a couple that can be created.
Does anyone know a way this can be done?

Screenshot_2024-05-31_152935_kccui2.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Given the attention and questions this thread has attracted, I should let everyone know that the whole stair is being rebuilt - as it is otherwise not possible to eliminate all the dangerous conditions.

Thanks lexpatrie. I had to look it up and you're right about the 200 lb load direction for guards per IRC 2021. But it appears this doesn't apply for handrails. Table R301.5, new Footnote i reads as:
Table R301.5 said:
Where the top of a guard system is not required to serve as a handrail, the single concentrated load shall be applied at any point along the top, in the vertical downward direction and in the horizontal direction away from the walking surface. Where the top of a guard is also serving as the handrail, a single concentrated load shall be applied in any direction at any point along the top. Concentrated loads shall not be applied concurrently.

So, I don't think this helps OP with the handrail, but it's good to know for future guardrail design. Now I just need to wait 10 years for my state to adopt the 2021 code!

Does anybody know if similar provision are in the 2021 IBC concerning the guard load?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back