Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Are there any structural engineering or related communities in Greater Toronto Area? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccpe

Civil/Environmental
Apr 29, 2007
CA
As the topic. Preferably they have offline events. I talked to a few people in Ontario about how to get a engineering job. They told me that they usually got their jobs through their networks or friends. I don't have a lot of local resources because I just relocated to this region 3 years ago. By joining a community, it may help me to obtain some resources. Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While sometimes there is a shortage of work in our industry I've never experienced a shortage of need for good people. They are hard to find and if you keep pounding the pavement and have the right attributes I'm sure you'll find something. So keep at it! Since you mentioned communities here are a few that I know of though not all are necessarily specific to structural engineering.

#1 Canada Structural Engineers Association

They actually have an event this Saturday May 4th in Mississauga and it's a Career Development seminar!

#2 The Ontario Society of Professional Engineers

This group is the main advocate for engineering in our province. They host events and you can become a member even if not a P.Eng

#3 The Canadian Society for Civil Engineering

A combination of academic / industry folk run this society. They put out some pretty good stuff and often have tours at the Western wind tunnel (my alma mater. Go Mustangs!)

Then there are offshoots like the B&CRAO

#4 Building and Concrete Restoration Association of Ontario

These guys are more contractor led but still a good number of engineering members. They deal solely with the repair of existing structures. I'm actually giving a talk in a couple weeks at their May event on shoring for demolition of high-rise building columns under load / occupancy. I'd be happy to chat at this if you happened to make it out

Thank you, , for your valuable information. I am actually working for a small structural firm in GTA now. There is little advancing space for me. So I want to find some better opportunities in the future. Yes, I would like to chat with you about construction industry in Ontario and also about your future presentation. Seems we live in the same region. How can we connect?

I'm still a member and haven't been registered in Ontario for over 20 years.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Hi dik, how do you like The Ontario Society of Professional Engineers? Do you think they are very helpful?

It has useful information about the profession. I think they could be more proactive about things that affect the profession. Sometimes the associations are not working for the best interests of the members, IMHO.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back