Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are There Keyboard Shortcuts In SW? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickVJ

Mechanical
Sep 26, 2006
US
Is there such thing as keyboard shortcuts in SW like there are in ACAD? I want to program my programmable mouse for instance to perform the pan command when I press down on the wheel button. I also want to program the side thumb button to perform a "repeat last command" if there is such a thing in SW? If there are such keyboard shortcuts, can anyone tell me where I might be able to find a complete list?

RickV

Rick
Manufacturing Engineer
Grand Rapids, MI
SW Newbe
SolidWorks 2005 Personal Edition

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look in SW Help for "shortcut,keys".

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

FYI: 1) Logitech mouses are not supported by SolidWorks, but others should be. 2) After 10 years, SolidWorks finally made a more user friendly user interface for setting shortcuts. Load a document type for which you are assiging the shortcuts. Then goto Tools pulldown>Customize>Keyboard tab. From there, you'll have the option to add shortcuts to almost all SW functions.

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA

Mirisola (Mechanical)
22 Mar 07 22:01
Just because you mentioned it, holding down the middle button + ctrl will allow you to pan...

IF the scroll button is setup as (middle button). I'm using a Logitech mouse, and the scroll button came assigned as (alternate scroll), or something to that order.

About the mouses, Logitech isn't supported by SolidWorks, but normal Microsoft functions on all mouses are (Logitech or otherwise). This means the middle button/wheel, LMC and RMC. If you have a Logitech mouse with any extra buttons or functions, those will not work within SolidWorks.

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA

I assigned buttons on my mouse to such tasks as (inserting new sketches), extruding, and so on. you have setup a keyboard shortcut (if none already exists) and then assign the buttons to simulate the keypress

Since I STILL haven't bothered to get a 3D controller (like a SpaceBall) I use the arrow keys for navigation.

Arrow keys alone rotate, holding shift down with arrow keys rotates in 90* increments, and with CTRL and arrow keys it pans on the screen. ALT and arrow keys spins the part about the Z axis (relative to user). In combination with the roller/scroll on my mouse I navigate my parts quickly.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Oh, and to go along with the arrow keys (since that's where my left hand lives while modeling), I also mapped my number pad to sketch tools I use very commonly. For instance, zero is Select (in or out of sketch), one is Convert Entities, two is Trim, three is Extend, four is Offset Entities, five is Dimension (sometimes works), and seven is Mirror.

This configuration keeps me from moving my left hand around and most of the time I don't even need to look at the keyboard to get what I need (easy-to-learn).

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

I found a list of keyboard shortcuts but it appears that solidworks doesnt like my intellimouse explorer. When I map the buttons to specific commands they don't work in SW. Maybe there is a patch for SW to fix that I don't know yet. I figured out how to make custom menus for the commands I like the best so I have a single menu with all of my favorites in it - pretty cool. If any of you guys have a programmable mouse that works let me know what kind it is.

Rick
Manufacturing Engineer
Grand Rapids, MI
SW Newbe

Thanks for the info. I tried one of those space balls and I don't like them at all. I try to get my custom menus all set up so I don't have to touch my keyboard at all - except for number inputs and also I like to hit the ESC key instead of using Select to end a command in SW and that's about it. Out of my 14 years of using CAD and solid modeling with Mechanical Desktop I find that every time I have to touch the keyboard my efficiency goes down and the possibility of getting carpal tunnel goes up;)

Rick
Manufacturing Engineer
Grand Rapids, MI
SW Newbe

I'm using a Logitech MX518 along with uberOptions. It's basically a hack of the Logitech software that enables all of the features of all the mice. The main feature I use that's not standard for my mouse is app-specific button settings. Certain buttons perform different actions based on what program I'm using. Website:

The other productivity enhancer I use is StrokeIt. It's a mouse gesturing program that basically allows you to set up shortcuts that are activated by a right-click-and-drag motion. It's especially handy when your screen is set to such a high resolution that your buttons become very small.

handleman,

I couldn't get this to give me any results. The Logitech software required doesn't support my mouse MX700. It only supports MX1000. Are you using older versions of the uber program that uses older Logitech software?

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA

sorry for not getting back sooner...I'm using a Cordless Desktop MX3000, the mouse is an MX600. I had to disable the side-scrolling option, as it clicks easier than the center button.
I programmed the handiest one for 'Enter'. It's unbelievable how often that gets used, not only in SW, but any program.

Logitech MX500 and MX518 work fine for me (for over a year now). FYI, the <Enter> key does reapeat the last command in SolidWorks, so map one of your mouse buttons to the <Enter> keystroke.

Ken

All Matt said was that extra functions in addition to LMB, RMB, middle button, and scroll wheel don't work within SW, and that SW doesn't "support" Logitech mice.

I'm not sure what sort of functions SW should be expected to "support" in addition to those four. Matt, can you give some examples of Logitech mouse features that don't work in SW? (as an aside, sorry I forgot to look into why uberOptions didn't work for you. However, I did check today and the MX700 is not listed as a supported mouse. I guess your mouse uses MouseWare instead of SetPoint?)

Scott, does your TrackMan marble have functions in addition to the standard four that do something in SW?

My mouse has extra buttons that I've mapped using SetPoint to act as keyboard shortcuts. These do work in SW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back