Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are There Keyboard Shortcuts In SW? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickVJ

Mechanical
Sep 26, 2006
US
Is there such thing as keyboard shortcuts in SW like there are in ACAD? I want to program my programmable mouse for instance to perform the pan command when I press down on the wheel button. I also want to program the side thumb button to perform a "repeat last command" if there is such a thing in SW? If there are such keyboard shortcuts, can anyone tell me where I might be able to find a complete list?

RickV

Rick
Manufacturing Engineer
Grand Rapids, MI
SW Newbe
SolidWorks 2005 Personal Edition

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

fcsuper,

I think I do a fine job of Contributing to the subject and this forum! I was just pointing out that you couldn’t just say that Logitech doesn't work with SW.

About the mouses, Logitech isn't supported by SolidWorks, but normal Microsoft functions on all mouses are (Logitech or otherwise). This means the middle button/wheel, LMC and RMC. If you have a Logitech mouse with any extra buttons or functions, those will not work within SolidWorks.

Did SW tell you that this Mouse wouldn’t work inside SW? OR was that you just your judgment on the subject?

Try saying something like you have not any luck with it instead... if you don't like my opinions I really don't care. But at least don't rule everything out, because you had a little bad luck with you setting it up.

We have customers that are using the Logitech mice other then the ones with RH, Middle, and LH buttons and they work fine. We have an AE here that uses this Logitech and has no problems with in SW -
Sorry you are not having good luck, but don't contribute bad information that's not true. Because in reality Logitech is a fine product and I recommend them to everyone even those that run SW.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Handleman,

Assigning shortcut keys to buttons on a LogiTech mouse does work (as mentioned previously). However, these are not mouse functions. They are key assignments that happen to mean something in one particular program. They are meaningless in other software. If I use a key assigned button in Word, I simply type that key in the edit field like this: ppppppppp I just did that with the key assignment. :)

Mouse functions such as such as recall application, program launches, quick launch, Cruise Up/Down, Minimize, or any other similar functions do not work. I've had many LogiTech mice, and have always had this issue regardless of the mouse, version of mouse driver and version of SW.

If anyone has a way to make these sort of functions work, I am all ears, because, as I mentioned before, SolidWorks OFFICIAL word on this is only this statement "SolidWork does not support LogiTech mice," according to my VAR. Not really sure how I could misinterpret that? ::Ribbing SBaugh::

Thank you. :p

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA

The actual statement that appears in the SolidWorks VAR help files is soemthing like this: "There is no support for Logitech optical mouse special function buttons." So, yeah, my statement didn't apply to EVERY logitech mouse, but certainly the bulk of them.

The additional statement from my VAR is "Due to incompatibility between the Logitech Mouse drivers and SolidWorks program standard internal commands. Try to use a default Microsoft mouse driver that is installed with the OS or Contact Logitech Tech Support to see if there a new mouse driver that can be downloaded that can fix this issue."

Of course the alternative suggestions didn't work either. I did my own research on this and found that the reason there is some limit of capatibility is because LogiTech drivers handle the special buttons events much differently than other mouse manufacturers.

My VAR's interpretation is that SolidWorks just doesn't feel like it's worth their trouble to support Logitechs methods.

Man, I feel like I'm writing for Wikipedia! LOL Any further clarifications needed in order avoid being told how to answer or not answer in the future? lol

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA

So... the functions you're trying to activate with the extra buttons aren't SolidWorks functions? Non-SW functions can't be activated while the SW window is active? I don't guess I've tried mapping any of the standard Windows type commands to my extra mouse buttons. I've done application-specific commands for SolidWorks all mapped to hotkey combinations. I use StrokeIt for all my minimize, switching, etc. I'll give it a shot with SetPoint tomorrow and see what happens.

It does look like you're using a four year old mouse. Have you been able to try any mice that use SetPoint?

You need to look in the Knowledge base... you have that ability even as a user:

1) Question: There is no support for Logitech optical mouse special function buttons.

Answer: Due to incompatibility between the Logitech Mouse drivers and SolidWorks program standard internal commands. Try to use a default Microsoft mouse driver that is installed with the OS or Contact Logitech Tech Support to see if there a new mouse driver that can be downloaded that can fix this issue.

2) Logitech wireless mouse (MX 700) drivers do not work with SolidWorks - Driver does not work for many 3D software applications - Open SPR

3) Question: Mouse movement causes CPU usage to spike when using a Logitech mouse.

Answer: Slower mouse performance is a known issue with some Logitech mouse drivers. The problem is that some Logitech mouse drivers turn on an OpenGL setting used for gaming. Please go to Logitech’s web site ( and download the latest drivers for the mouse, or just use the Microsoft default mouse drivers that are installed on the PC.

That's from the Knowledge base. I talked to the AE that has the Logitech mx610 he was able to program the buttons to do functions within SW. The driver version he is using driver 2.42. To do what the original poster of this thread wanted is to: just program it for the 'enter" keystroke assignment.

Now all new Logitech's are not supported for SW07, but that's Logitech's fault for bad drivers, but if you have a newer mouse try finding that driver (above) and see if that helps fix or get you around the problem.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back