Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Area Clasification to ATEX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilan7

Mechanical
Jun 10, 2003
IL
I'm usually use the US Area Clasification as per NEC, the NFPA and API for area classification (Means for determin how many feets (or Meters) from the hazarduos source Div. 1 and Div. 2 are).
Can any one point at the same instruction for the European equivalent?
thanks ilan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The european standard EN60079 covers explosive gas atmospheres, in particular part 10 details the classification of hazardous areas and gives some examples.

ATEX regulations were introduced at beginning of july this year for new equipment, these regulations do not give any guidance as to classification of the extent of zoned areas but does limit the equipment that can be used in a hazardous area.

ATEX not only covers electrical equipment but mechanical equipment as well which was never covered befored ATEX.

Most large companies in europe now offer ATEX certified equipment (without which they can not be sold to be used in a hazazardous area) but I recently had difficulties the other way round. I wanted to buy a fully tested skid mounted package from the US but in order to satisfy ATEX requirements have ended up buying a number of components in europe and shipping across to the US for incorporation into their package.

There is still quite a bit of confusion as to what can and cant be done under ATEX hopefully as people become more comfortable with the new regs a consistent approach will emerge.

I would like to know the boundary zone of the hazardous area clasification as per NEC, the NFPA and en60079 (Means for determine how far feets (or Meters) from the hazarduos source Div. 1 and Div. 2.

Situation: 1. I do not have NEC,NFPA and en60079 code.
2. I know that hazardous boundary for LNG is to
be 15 feet from hazardous source.
But I do not have enough safe space of
15 feet(I can have 7 feet space of safety
only).

regards

If you have to use the European "Zone" system rather than the US "Class/Div" system then EN60079 is the correct standard. However, this does not allow UL/FM etc certified equipment. And on a large "global purchase" project, this can cause difficulty if some package units come out of North America.

One way around this is to work under API RP 505 rules. This calls for the European "zone" system, but does not preclude North American certified equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back