Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Arizona’s Governor to Licensing Boards: What Is It That You Do? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think I remember reading about a licensing kerfluffle in Nevada, where a then new law said your application to be a licensed beautician or something had to be approved by a licensed beautician or whatever, but nobody could get a license because there were no pre-licensed people available to sign the licenses.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

On the other hand, I don't mean to make light of the issue. Here in SoFla, we get pretty regular arrests of people doing dentistry, cosmetic surgery, and more without benefit of a license or even related training.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

That's hilarious, since these guys are supposedly for self-regulation by industry, but they (the government) want to have final say on regulations?

These governors seem to forget that unfettered business was why places like LA had Stage 3 smog alerts, and why there were clustered cases of leukemia in San Jose and other cities. They work for the people, not unfettered business; they should that tattooed on themselves as part of the oath of office.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I'm exceptionally liberal but I can't help but agree with the governor. Licensing boards should exist to protect individual/human safety and nothing else. Unions, regulations and the free market can sufficiently control for everything else. Try getting the lawyers who run things to agree with that though.

Seems like a bit of showboating. In California, there is an actual LAW on the books that sanctions the PE board, and the raison d'etre is stated in the first paragraph. All the governor needs to do is to get his staff to read the law as written. He can believe the rationale or not, but it's already written and published.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

If that what it takes to make sure they don't infect you with lice or athlete's foot fungus, then maybe yes. Typical cosmetology programs take slightly less than a year to complete.

California calls for 1600 hr class and 3200 apprenticeship. Given that it takes more than book learning to be good at styling hair, it doesn't sound completely unreasonable.

TTFN (ta ta for now)

frankly, if a hairdresser is lousy at cutting hair, they will not be in business long. and did anybody ever get injured by a bad haircut? Seems like this is one profession that can be regulated by the marketplace, not by bureaucrats. as far as foot fungus, shouldnt there be inspections to make sure that the facility is clean?

" did anybody ever get injured by a bad haircut"

It happens, both physically, and mentally. Mostly, it's lice and general unsanitary practices.

"shouldnt there be inspections to make sure that the facility is clean"

Does anyone seriously think that the government is any better at inspection? We've cut back on inspections, even for more important things like our restaurants and our food supply. The cost of maintaining a licensing board is substantially lower than paying for a bunch of inspectors that have to cover the state of California, or Texas. We're not even willing to fund the number of IRS agents to retrieve actual money, and there's no additional money to be gained from inspections.

TTFN (ta ta for now)

I dont follow. are you saying that if you make a hairdresser take two years of tech school and then make them pay for a license, they will only work in clean salons?

And you'd get a clean hairdresser and working environment with 6 months of classes, wham, bam, thank you?

Doctor's require a minimum of 3 yrs on the job training. These guys are going to get almost as close to your skin and innards; I think a little bit of supervised training is in order.

TTFN (ta ta for now)

A while ago, I was sitting in a barber chair when a guy came in and made a field test on the little tank of Barbasol, used to clean clippers and scissors. The barber admitted to having cut it with water to save money. I think the fine cost him more than he saved. I was a little glad to see that _some_ inspection was going on.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

As a licensed engineering in Arizona, I have been watching this fairly closely ever since the barber student cut homeless people's hair for free. If you haven't seen that article, that's how this whole thing started. A cosmetology student decided to give free haircuts to homeless people. Because he hadn't graduated yet, and because he wasn't licensed, the Cosmetology Board made an inquiry. Of course, the news (mainly social media) blew it completely out of proportion, claiming the Board already fined and prevented this student from ever getting a license. In reality, the Board was performing the required inquiry about unlicensed practice. They didn't even have time to collect the facts of the situation before the media was making claims. I have to agree with the Board because even a homeless guy should have his hair cut with clean scissors.

So the governor decided to make all licensing boards review their charters, more or less, including the Board of Technical Registration (which licenses engineers, surveyors, and home inspectors). The purpose of the review is to make sure the regulations in which the Boards follow do not exceed the national average. In areas in which the regulations are more strict than the national average, the Board has to justify the reason for being so strict or to revise the regulation to match the national average.

The purpose of the review is to make sure more individuals are capable of getting a job - obtaining a license should not be the reason a capable person cannot be employed due to unreasonable requirements of licensure. Also, the governor hopes to continue to make Arizona very business friendly, so more organizations will continue to do business here.

--Scott
www.aerornd.com

Re hairdressers, are you all forgetting the nasty chemicals used in processes like hair straightening, bleaching and dying? Then there's the toxic fumes from Brazilian blow outs and the like.

So yes cvg people have been quite seriously injured by bad hair cuts and the like.

Some hair dressers (i.e. Voters) are probably as ignorant about why engineers need to be licensed as some of us seem to be about hairdressers needing to be.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

"yep, licensing will definitely prevent this"

By that line of reasoning, PEs shouldn't be licensed, since that won't prevent all the failures cited in this forum.

As stated elsewhere, licensing provides a minimum level of competency, but people still need to be policed, because people are neither perfect nor perfectly good.

TTFN (ta ta for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back