Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arizona at it Again 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A hairdresser can often work with some nasty chemicals... ever seen a chemical burn from a poorly managed bleaching? Permanent loss of hair, permanent scarring, etc.

Dan - Owner
URL]

I would imagine hairdressers can and do get sued if they screw up badly (beyond the chemical burns thing, though that too). I imagine licensing for hairdressers is probably pushed more by insurance companies than anything. I believe this is more or less what cranky108 was saying.

Professional and Structural Engineer (ME, NH)
American Concrete Industries

I would be more likely to believe hairdressers don't have insurance. The salon more likely has insurance.

Sort of like me. I don't have insurance, but my employer does.
(I don't want to be the deep pocket, or make myself a lawyer target).

For car insurance, people who are bad drivers either don't have insurance, or have high risk insurance (at a greater cost).

But like contractors, one should ask about being insured, before you hire them.

" people who are bad drivers either don't have insurance, or have high risk insurance" - only if they've 'been caught' i.e. made claims/had claims made against them/got tickets etc - bad drivers who cause accidents but aren't in them or flee the scene & then don't make a claim... won't face the insurance issues.

Kind of like a background check only works on sloppy criminals not the 'good' ones.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

"I don't want to be the deep pocket, or make myself a lawyer target"

If you are in a position that could potentially expose yourself to litigation, just because you have no insurance doesn't mean that you won't get sued. Someone who files a suit is likely to name anyone they can whether they have insurance or not. In fact, it's unlikely that they even know whether you have insurance or not. Doctors, while they do have insurance, can still lose their homes, etc.

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
faq731-376 forum1529

cranky108 said:
For car insurance, people who are bad drivers either don't have insurance, or have high risk insurance (at a greater cost).

I am sure GregLocock's model involves mandatory car insurance, which we already have in many places. Law courts do have the authority to withdraw driver's licenses, regardless of what the insurance companies think. If you drive away from the accident undetected, the courts are no more effective than the insurance companies.

--
JHG

I think hairdressers and barbers should be licensed. Before someone messes around with my head, I'd like the security of knowing they met a minimum criteria, went to school, filled out a form, took a test and actually passed all those steps. It can't be all that onerous. Go to your local Great Clips and look around.
And the same times a hundred for engineers. Sure as shooting, if they allowed fly by night engineers, fly by night insurance companies would follow. And what good does an insurance policy do for a flood control project only tested every 50 years? Are you going to have a seance with a long dead engineer to find out his insurance carrier, who by the way, is also gone? The point is to avoid problems, not litigate them.
We engineers are designing buildings, circuits, pumps, etc. that will (hopefully) far outlast us. Don't the users of those designs deserve the comfort of knowing a minimally competent individual designed them?

First Hairdressers, then flower arrangers and what next car oil changers?

Do we also have tests for store clerks, and car salesmans? Where does it end? And that is the concern.

We currently have the same debate with Uber.

As far as what I do at work, the public has no idea if I designed it, or if one of my coworkers designed it. The company is the one who stands behind it. And it is the company that assigns someone to do dam inspections, and oil spill mitigation, etc. The fact is many of the simple tasks are done by non-engineers, and they call us when they need help.

So what is the name of the engineer that designed the defective batteries? Or do you just sue the company he works for?

JedClampett said:
I think hairdressers and barbers should be licensed. Before someone messes around with my head, I'd like the security of knowing they met a minimum criteria, went to school, filled out a form, took a test and actually passed all those steps. It can't be all that onerous. Go to your local Great Clips and look around.

Licensing is how governments manage limited resources, and/or ensure some minimum level of competence. At some point, it has to be done.

Quite a few years ago, I took my car into one of those Jiffy Lube places for an oil change. They asked me if I would like them to put some of their fuel injector cleaner into my gas tank.

What I should have done at this point was ask if they were licensed mechanics. What I did was say "Okay, yes." There were clouds of evil smelling smoke coming out of my exhaust for the next hour or so. Eventually, my engine light came on and I wound up taking it into the dealer for service. I don't think the problem here was licensing. The problem was me not recognizing that they were not qualified to touch my fuel injection. Now I know.

--
JHG

I was surprised at the method which Warren Petersen (R-Gilbert) suggested for safety, "unhappy customers could write bad reviews... on Yelp". So, instead of a licensed landscape architect who ran calculations of the strength of a retaining wall, the state saved money by just hiring a guy with a bulldozer to just go put dirt there until "it looks right". The injured people in the neighborhood behind the retaining wall could now just write bad reviews on yelp, so other customers won't use the services of that retaining wall.
OK.

Darrell Hambley P.E.
SENTEK Engineering, LLC

The legislature for the Great State of Arizona has never been known for their deep thinkers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back