Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

armoured and un armoured cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

far243

Electrical
Mar 16, 2005
KR
hi all
what do you prefer, using unarmoured cable OR armoured cable throgh pipe during installation and why?
is there any reference regarding to this matter?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes.

How about a bit more information? Voltage, circuit size, construction conditions, criticality of the circuit, and many other factors would help form the decision.

assume 400 volt cable around 50 meter from main substation to ITR,
we want to install power cable at diffrent size between 2 bulding throgh pvc pipe undeground, which type of cable armour or nonarmour cable is better to use?

400 volt cable suggests something very different from the NEC/ANSI world where cable of that general type would be rated 600V. I'd just use a THHN/THWN-2 or an XHHW-2 cable, single conductor, which is not armored for any work in conduit. What is an ITR?

PVC pipe... is for fluids!

Do you mean conduit, or are you referring to use of 4" or 6" plastic drain as an electrical duct? If the latter, I would use armoured cable. It will withstand the mechanical stress of being pulled in better than the unarmoured equivalent, plus you can use the armour as an additonal earth. I would not rely solely on the armour as earth - use an extra core, and supplement it with the armour.

I guess you are in Europe because of the voltage you are using and the fact that you can spell armour [wink].

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

Tanks ScottyUk,
heavy duty pvc use for electrical duct,in fact we want to install cables through the electrical duct bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back