Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arrangement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtharrett

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2008
US
Still running 7.5 with TC integration.

I made an assembly last month that contained several arragements and then completed an assembly drawing with a view of each arrangement. All was fine.

Today, I bumped the rev on the assembly and added a few more arrangements. When I go to the assembly drawing and INSERT=>VIEW=>BASE, under the arragement drop down I only have a subset of arragements to choose from. In other words, the new arragements that I created in the assembly model are not listed in the drawing drop down. Is there a way to get this drop down to update such that I can intert a base view of the new arragement onto the existing assembly drawing?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, the the master model drawing file updated.

I can replicate the problem without revising the drawing:

1) create assembly with 2 arragements
2) create assembly drawing (adding views gives me the two arragement options)
3) save everything
4) go back to assembly model and create 3rd arragement and save
5) go back to assembly drawing and try to insert view of 3rd arragement but cannot because it is not in the drop down list...

Just closed and re-opened with partial loading turned off this time (I assume that is what is meant by fully loaded). Original problem is still present...

I am curious if eanyone else has the same behaviour as decribed above?

I have been poking around and stumbled across a workaround.

In the dialog box for inserting view, under "select part"... If you open and navigate to the assembly (and select the assembly) all of the arrangement appear in the drop down. Not sure if this is the intended workflow. I'll check back in after our MCAD group contacts GTAC...

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f4fb5380-b117-4fdf-b96b-2f86f6fd7253&file=arrangement_dialog_box.jpg
I never mentioned that since I assumed that since you managed to find the original arrangements that you had already selected the Assembly file to create your views since the arrangements exist in it, NOT the Drawing file.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John,
I did not have to go through the extra step of selecting the assembly file a month ago. The extra steps only come into play when I revise the assembly model with additional arragements. Is this the normal workflow?

John,
I spoke with my MCAD group who is also in touch with GTAC. The work around I decribed is not the recomended fix as it somehow violates the whole master model approach. With that said, nobody understands why I cannot see the new arrangements in the dropdown list.. I come back with updates but if you have any other suggestions...

Just a follow up,
We sent the database to GTEC for them to take a look at. There were able to replicate the problem in 7.5

According to GTEC we should NOT need to go though the extra work around of selecting the part every time we want to insert a view of a different arrangement. All of the arrangements should be in the drop down.

GTEC also confirmed that the propose work around is OK and does not violate the master model approach or break links etc.

Also, GTEC confirmed that the problem is resolved in NX 8.0 which is good for us as we should be ugrading within a month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back