Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arrangements in NX 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvanNX

Mechanical
Jun 9, 2005
SE
I was told that arrangements, when used in drawings, make copy of assembly components to be able to show different positions of components. I would like to use arrangements in huge assemblies to isolate assembly components needed for detailed views, If arrangements only copy components that are used in that arrangements than it will not add a lot to file size/memory used.

My first question is do arrangements make copy of components used in particular arrangement or copy of all components in that assembly?

My second question is if it is possible to make arrangements more drawing friendly if they control only visibility of different components used but without any changes in positions in assembly.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Ivan,

I don´t think that arrangements make copy of any components.

However, why use arrangement instead of hiding components?
hide_components_hp8til.png

You can select components from graphic window or by assembly navigator.

Airin
NX Designer

Hi Arin
For some details we need to be able to show them from different angles, in that case it is much easier to use arrangements. Hide is great tool to be used in static projections.

Maybe Hide components and then edit view, reorient it, and copy view then reorient it in other direction... hmmm...

Just come to idea, is it possible to use component groups to set visibility of components on drawings?

Instead of arrangements, we use layers visible in in custom views done in modeling and insert the custom views into the drawings. This doesn't affect bill of materials and provides a lot of detail. Custom views with explosions allow us to balloon components for clarity. This is old school stuff, but seems to be very stable and easy to do.

Now one note, the components do not have to be on separate layers at the component level, the solid body can be moved to different layers in the drawing without affecting the component by using "move to layer" in the drawing with the "solid body" selection filter.

NX10.0.0.24 MP1/Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back