Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arrangements with sketches in the upper level assembly. NX 7.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

nateconn

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2011
US
I'm using NX 7.5 and am trying to do something with arrangements but am unable to get it to work.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry I hit submit post when I meant to click preview.

I'm using NX 7.5 and am trying to do something with arrangements but am unable to get it to work. Basically if I promote the boy of a part in the assembly, then put sketches or text on it. The sketches will not move with the arrangement.

Lets say you have an assembly of two parts, (plate 1 and plate 2). I use the promote body command to promote the body of plate 2. Plate 1 is fixed and plate 2 is constrained at a distance of 3 inch away. I change this constraint to be arrangement specific and in another arrangement I make it a distance of 5 inches away.

Now if I add a sketch to plate 2 with some reference lines and then use the text command to add text associated with the reference lines, the sketch and text will not move when the arrangement is change to move the plate from 3 to 5 inches away. If I manually change the constraint parameter from 3 to 5 inches the sketch will move with plate 2, it just won't move when changing the arrangement.

The example assembly is just to illustrate the issue I'm having. What I'm actually trying to do is add artwork (text) to an assembly with a door, the artwork can't be added to the actual door model file as that is controlled at a lower level. I was hoping to be able to use arrangements for the different stages of the door being open and closed while allowing the artwork to remain in the same position on the door. Also so in the next higher assembly the door and be opened or closed with the artwork on the door.

I assume that the 'text' is Assembly specific and therefore cannot be added to the Component parts themselves, correct?

What you've run into is one of the limitations of Arrangements (there are others). Things don't actually move inside of an Arrangement, it only LOOKS like they've moved, but in reality the parts are still right where they always were.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Why not take a different approach, add the door geometry to the artwork part as a WAVE link, then constrain the artwork to the door with 'bond'. Then as long as your interpart update delay is turned on, you should be able to move the door by arrangements and have the artwork follow.

Khimani Mohiki
Design Engineer - Aston Martin
NX8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back