Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arrangment-Moving component in a sub assembly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjaz

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2013
IN
I have to create several arrangements of a large assembly structure.
Assembly structure has three levels.
Main Assembly
---Sub Assembly
------Component

When i move a component in one arrangement, it affects on other arrangements too.

Do i need to do any parameter settings in prior to moving components.

NOte: I have modification rights only to Main Assembly.
I dont have modification rights to Sub Assy and component.

PLease guide me

Using UG NX 7.5

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Chris
Thanks for your quick reply

No, I haven't use position override.
Should I select that option only once for a component or for every arrangements , i have to select for the component

The arrangement modifies the position of components relative to the same assembly level the arrangement is stored in.

So, if you do not use position override, you are modifying the position of the component in the sub-assembly, not the top-level assembly. If you use position override, you transfer control of the component in the sub-assembly, to the top-level, which can then be manipulated by the arrangement.

Chris Abbott
TEAM Engineering

OK. I clearly understood. And if i want to move component in main assembly, do i need to change the parameter (individualy positioned) ?

It seems that i am missing something while moving the part in main assy. While moving is it necessary to select "Apply to used" in settings

If you dont have write access to the components parent assembly then selecting 'apply to used' wont make any difference as you wont be able to save the changes.

Khimani Mohiki
Design Engineer - Aston Martin
NX8.5

The reason that you got the question about 'Apply to Used' is because you probably have more than just the original 'default' Arrangement defined in your Assembly and therefore it's simply making sure which Arrangement that you want this move to be effective in.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi john
So , if i choose apply to used ,then the move will be stored in active arrangment. Right?
In this case, i need to select position override.
What is the difference between position override and Apply to used?
Apart from this i see one more option in Properties ->PArameters -> Individually positioned or Same postion at all arrangements.

Why there are these much settings for a single move operation. Really confusing. Your comments will be really appreciated.

Apply to Used and Position Override are two completely different things.

Apply to Used turned ON saves the new part position into the current active arrangement only. Turned OFF it will apply the part position to all arrangements in the assembly.

Position Override may or may not be something you want to do. If you are trying to move a component within a subassembly, at the assembly level, then you need to use position override. For example, if you have a subassembly where a component is free to move (like a hinge), then you may want to be able to move those components at a level above it (like a door assembly that uses that hinge as a subassembly). If you do not use position override, the subassembly is rigid, even if the parts are not fully constrained.

Your original query suggested that you are trying to move the position of a part within a subassembly, but from the top-level assembly - for which you must use Position Override before you can add the new position to an arrangement at the top-level.

It may also be worth noting that you could create arrangements within the subassembly, which you can then choose at the level above, if my explanation above means Position Override isn't really something you want to do in this case.

Chris Abbott
TEAM Engineering

Thank You very much Chris for your kind explanation.

I guess "Apply to used " is the one i have to use.

I will explain my case in detail.

The only assembly i have modification rights is the top assy. All the sub assy and components inside the sub assy, i dont have any modificaiton rights.
Now i have to show the assembly instructions of those sub assy in three different positions.

Now i am trying to create three arrangements for the TOP assy , So obviously the movement of these assy in each arrangment , i would like to store in the top assy itself.

SO i guess,while moving sub assy or while moving parts inside sub , i should use "Apply to used".

But i doubt whether this "apply to used " setting may not get saved as i do not have rights for any of the sub parts. (I-deas is good in this situation. It will not allow me to move if i do not have rights. But in UG, i can know whether this move is saved or not, only when reopenening the file.)

I am trying hard to find out the perfect solution. :( :(

Both .. In one arrangment i am moving the sub assyonly.

In other two arrangements, i have to move parts inside the sub assy

Ok, I see. So if you do not have write-access to the sub-assemblies, you will have to use Position Override on the components you want to move in those sub-assemblies (you do not need to do this for parts at the top-level).

Once you have done that, create your arrangement and make it active. Move the components using Apply To Used to only move them in that one arrangement.

Chris Abbott
TEAM Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back