Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Article on AI implementation in work flows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structural
Mar 7, 2007
US
The following is a neat (free) article on how AI is being used in call centers and some of the struggles.

Undoubtedly, we'll be seeing some of this in engineering, if it's not already there in some instances.

One of my first thoughts is that engineers have two or three decades of using software to help in design and we're used to over-riding what it tells us to do. However, this could take the over-reliance on software to another level for engineers with marginal levels of conscientiousness. We've all seen folks take whatever the software says as gospel.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experiment with ChatGTP didn't leave me with any great sense that my career was in danger. Asked to simulate an elastic ball bouncing on the ground led to some very poor scripts, which I could correct BECAUSE I knew the answer. But yes, anybody whose job can be reduced to stringing together phrases that other people have used on roughly the same subject is in danger.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Right. I don't think structural engineers are in immediate danger. I asked ChatGPT for the weight of a 10 ft long southern pine 2x10, seasoned and dressed, and the answer was off by 50%. It even had a calculation.

I also asked it for the tensile strength of a specific steel and it gave the yield stress. Google gave the correct answer and added a note about the search taking 0.45 seconds. Ha.

Still, AI is moving VERY fast. I'm working on an academic job search right now, and at least 80% of the applicants listed it as major research area. It's all over the place in the journals. I bet it'll be in our world pretty soon. I think it'll be more like the call centers, where people are trying to integrate it without it being a pest, or dangerous distraction in our case.

JMO but I haven't seen any notable improvements in either AI for either call-answering or autonomy the past decade, just an increase in the media coverage. Do-loops in phone-answering are especially terrible, I force every IT dept and supplier to give me a direct contact number for a human. I dont doubt that use of the technology is increasing and replacing lower-skilled jobs but I wouldn't call it an improvement aside from possibly saving money on calls by trading accuracy for volume.

Not many years ago the local IEEE section had a presentation on AI. Per that person, we're still in the machine learning stage and will be for many years to come. With time, I think AI will encroach on engineering but it will still need oversight.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC
NSPE-CO, Central Chapter
Dinner program:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back