Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

As-Built record drawings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2010
US
I work in plumbing design for a plumbing contractor. Part of my duties is to complete the as-built drawings for each job and turn them in with the O&Ms. When I mark up a set of drawings, should I be removing the PE stamp and the engineering firm's information from the drawing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The way I understand it - the seal is for the design and the construction documents. Supposedly, whenever there is a significant change - the engineer is supposed to issue new drawings or sketches that are also sealed. That doesn't always happen.

In my experience, the contractor sends his mark ups to the consulting engineer and they make the changes and issue the "as built" drawings to the owner.

It does depend on how the project is set up. We typically only do as builts for state funded, i.e. universities, government buildings, etc.

If we are not responsible for the as builts, we will send the autocad file to the contractor, but without the seal, title block and other company information. The drawings then can be put on the contractor's title block and issued that way.

It depends on the AHJ whether or not sealed as-built drawings are required. That should always be addressed on the front end of a project.
If you were to issue the as-built drawings with the engineer's stamp and company information without the engineer actually being involved you could be brought up for a variety of disciplinary penalties (including fines and possible loss of contracting license) from the local engineering board and/or possibly criminal charges. An engineer is liable for any work that they have sealed and signed (and we sometimes get held liable for work the was done using unsigned, unsealed drawings i.e. schematic design or design development drawings). Because of this, as a group we tend to get very cranky when someone uses our seal on work that we did not do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back