AS1210-2010 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incaraider

Industrial
Jan 5, 2011
PE
Good afternoon,
We are going to export to Australia one pressure vessel operating at 4 barg (design pressure 9 barg); designed and built according to BS PD 5500, could anyone please tell me if we have to certify the vessel during manufacturing or the end user is the one that has to do it once it arrives in Australia, this in accordance to the AS1210 standard.
Many Thanks,
Miguel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Miguel,

You need to contact the Australian state authorities where the vessel will be exported to.

About 2 years ago i worked on a project in NSW and the authorities stated they would not accept BS PD 5500 in lieu of AS 1210. They would except ASME Section VIII, Div. 1 with additional requirements so that the minimum criteria of AS 1210 was satisfied. In our case it was basically nozzle reinforcing issues and the hydrotest pressure.

The design also had to be approved by an Australian engineer (acceptable to the State) who verified it against the AS 1210 requirements. The reviewer required the calculations, MTRs, weld procedures (WPS and PQRs), NDT reports, etc.

There was also a design report (form) that the owner (plant operator) filled out and required an original signature of the engineer who performed the calculations.

Because the vessel had a U stamp from an agency that the Australian government accepted no additional inspections were required.

Other states, such as Tasmania, permit EN 13445 and BS PD 5500 but the design review had to be performed by a Tasmanian engineer who was approved by the Tasmanian authorities.

Each state has their own requirements and I advise you have an open discussion with the local pressure vessel authorities immediately to eliminate any issues which may arise. I have always found them to be cooperative and straight forward.

BR,

Patrick

Many thanks for your answer, we have exported pressure vessels to South Africa and had Bureau Veritas certified the vessel as compliant with the PD5500 standard.
I will contact the Australian authorities as you suggest but it seems that if we certify with Bureau Veritas Inspection the pressure vessel according to the AS1210, could be enough.
Once again thank you for your reply!!!
Regards from Lima,
Miguel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back