Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASCE 7-05 Along-Wind Response - Mode Exponent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey7320

Structural
Jun 23, 2006
I am studying the methods documented in the commentary and there is a method of determing the displacment and accelerations over the height of a structure. This is under C6.5.8. There is a term "mode exponenet" that is not defined and is needed. Can any one enlighten me on what this term is?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They usually do a better job of defining their variables. The key to my understanding is that it is part of the definition of the mode shape. And, we should be able to determine enough about the mode shape to come up with an answer.

Phi(z) = (h/z)^xi

If you know what your mode shape is, then you should be able to estimate your xi (mode component) value... essentially we just do a curve fit and see what value of xi most closely reproduces our known mode shape. Make sense?

If that's too much work, I suspect that you could set this equal to the 'k' value defiend in seismic chapter (equation 12.8-12 of the 2005 version of ASCE 7). The seismic k value is trying to capture the "whipping" effect of the mode shape for the more flexible structures in comparison to a much more triangular distribution for rigid structures. So, it is a very similar concept.

Thanks. That explanation makes sense. Excel can be used to do the curve fit using center of mass ordinates for the primary mode shape in each building direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back