Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASCE-7-05

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thanks jtx. I am using IBC 09 for the first time (was using 06, 03 etc previously) and noted that similar to 06 it refers to ASCE 7-05, so wanted to confirm that.

Looks like all other codes ACI318, 530 have been upgraded to 2008 in IBC 09, only ASCE-7 reference remains unchanged.

correct, IBC 06 & 09 both reference 7-05.

ASCE 7 committee has decided to go on a 5 year cycle versus the typical '3 year cycle'.

Note that ASCE 7-10 has significant revisions (wind load provisions)

I've gone through ASCE 7-10 and the wind load provisions, while rearranged dramatically into multiple seperate chapters, hasn't changed that much. Method 2 MWFRS wind is pretty much the same thing as 05.

OK - having posted that I must also add that a significant change that they did was eliminate the importance factor, I, and also change the wind speeds to derive an ultimate wind (vs. a service wind) by having multiple wind maps for different risk categories.

This means that instead of 1.6W in the LRFD combos, you will have 1.0W.

So I guess that seems like a big change but in your general familiarity with Method 2 it looks pretty much the same.

JoeBaseplate...if you have a copy of the code (IBC 2006, 2009 etc.), there is a chapter on "Referenced Standards". Currently it is Chapter 35. Look in there. It will tell you which version of the particular standard is being referenced.

The methods have minor changes (one being 6 FREAKING CHAPTERS), but if you break down the wind speeds, the 1.0*Wind in ASCE 7-10 should be the same force as 1.6*Wind in ASCE 7-05 for the same risk/occupancy category. The idea for doing this is to make the wind force analogous with the seismic force (load factor equalling 1.0).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back