Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASCE 7-10 Ch. 30 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFloJoe

Structural
Apr 3, 2018
US
Hi All,

Quick question, may already know the answer to this. But following ASCE 7-10 Part 3 for buildings > 60ft....

I have a high rise with Exposure Classification D. I am only interested in zone 4 and 5 for impact windows, but I do not see where this process takes into account the exposure classification. The closest thing I found is on Figure 30.6-1 under notes item #6 which references Fig. 30.4-2A,B & C but these only apply to zones 1-3. So is it safe to say that exposure does not effect zones 4 and 5? My gut is saying that it still should be, with something like either a Lambda coefficient (like part 2) or EAF (like Part 4).

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your gut is correct that the pressure should be affected by the exposure.

Figure 30.6-1 only provides the value for (GCp) for each of the zones. This value then needs to be plugged into equation 30.6-1 to get the design pressure on the zone. The 'q' variables in that equation are calculated from Chapter 26 which include kz, kzt & kd which account for the height, exposure, terrain and directionality. It may be helpful to look at Table 30.6-1 (pg 262 of the 3rd printing) which shows the steps to use Ch 30 Part 3. The wind chapters can get rather confusing since each section seems to have a slightly different method for determining the design pressure so the tables highlighting the steps are usually the first place I look to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back