Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASCE 7-16: Wind Adjustment Factor for Building Height and Exposure: MWFRS and C/C

Status
Not open for further replies.

keen_mentee

Civil/Environmental
Aug 11, 2020
US
Has anyone noticed the wind adjustment factor for 25 ft is not present in the Component and Cladding but is present in Main Wind Force Resisting System? Not a big difference but I wanted to share this information and ask if you think there is a deeper logic behind it? or may be as simple as the page for C/C could not fit the extra line in ASCE 7-16 (as we have the value for 25ft height C/C adjustment factor in ASCE 7-10). I always thought the adjustment factor would be same for MWFRS and C/C but I got a little curious when ENERCALC showed two different values. What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e4555dc1-efc5-47f0-9871-ac197db124fc&file=ASCE7-16_Lambda.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

C&C loading accounts for localized wind effects. Figure C28.3-1 give an illustration of what really happens and what C&C pressure is trying to capture - the peak loads that occur that are more critical for small tributary area elements.

I think you're correct that the 25 ft table row was just not included in Figure 30.4-1 of ASCE 7-16 in order to get it to fit on the page since it was included in the identical figure in ASCE 7-10 (Figure 30.5-1).

The reason you get a different value in ENERCALC is because they are interpolating. Since the table is missing an entry it has to interpolate between different values so you get a slightly different result.

For MWFRS:
λ = 1.29 + (20.42ft-20ft) * (1.35-1.29) / (25ft-20ft) = 1.30​

For C&C:
λ = 1.29 + (20.42ft-20ft) * (1.40-1.29) / (30ft-20ft) = 1.29​

Structural Engineering Software: Structural Engineering Videos:

@structSU10: Thank you.

@ProgrammingPE : That is what I think too. Never thought a availability of a single line space would impact the code presentation.Thank you.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back