ASCE Building with unknown enclosure category

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamiH93

Structural
Sep 5, 2022
LB
Hi,
I am designing a tower subject to wind.the envelope of the tower consist of glass windows that are extended over all the envelope of the tower, in such case how should I consider the building as enclosed/partially enclosed or open building?I mean there is no permenant opening, but yet all the openings could be open or closed or partially enclosed.It is impossible to take study each possible case as they are too many so what should I do?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) What is a tour as it relates to a building? (I only know of tours as things you take when you're on vacation.)

2) Enclosure classification is all about design - is the fenestration designed to be open during a design wind event? Or is there a high liklihood that it will be open? For instance, a fire station should be designed with the doors opened because a fire truck may need to respond to an emergency in high winds. A house on the ocean can be considered enclosed if the windows are adequately protected (either safety glass or designed to have projectile rated shutters) because the windows should be closed if a hurricane is coming.

Since I don't know what you mean by 'tour' in this context, I don't know how the windows/doors would be used.

What kind of tower? How are the doors and windows to be used? If it's a residential building, I would call it enclosed.

ASCE 7-10 defines an opening as "Apertures or holes in the building envelope that allow air to flow through the building envelope and that are designed as "open" during design winds as defined by these provisions." If you're using a different version, verify the definition to make sure they didn't change it. (I just happened to have my old 2010 edition on my desk.)

So whether or not it's designed as open is a matter of judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back