Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASCE charges for errata on ASCE 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehMightyEngineer

Structural
Aug 1, 2009
US
So, maybe I'm crazy but I'm almost positive this wasn't always the case. If you go to ASCE/SEI's website for ASCE 7 supplements and errata it appears like you can download them. However, when you click on it you're given the option to purchase them (with the exception of the expanded seismic commentary which is still a free download).

I've got PDF copies of the errata and supplements so I know I've downloaded them for free before (I avoid paying ASCE for documents where possible, I wont support such a stingy organization that is supposedly about supporting engineers). This has got to be a mistake though, I don't see how they can justify having errata behind a paywall. I couldn't find any info about this online and sent an email off to ASCE but that obviously will take a bit to get a reply. Is this something new?

Professional Engineer (ME, NH, MA) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I didn't go all the way through to the download but it looks like it might just require you to register prior to downloading the errata.

There is a screen where they show options for Library cards, etc. that you can buy but not sure if this applies to the errata.

Perhaps you just register your name and a password, then they let you download the errata?

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Interestingly, if you "add to cart" the book it dumps ASCE 7-10 into your cart. I'm wondering if just there's a bug and the errata links are pointed towards ASCE 7-10 incorrectly.

Also, the S.K. Ghosh website used to have direct links to these downloads here but those links appear to be broken now.

Got my email back from ASCE. They confirmed it was a mistake.

ASCE said:
Thank you for your email to ASCE.

You are correct, this information should be freely available and not behind the paywall.
We are aware of this problem and are working to make the information so it does not ask for payment.

We are now attaching the first 4 files from supplements and errata for ASCE 7-10: ...

So, in the interim if you need the errata I guess just email ASCE and they can email you PDFs. I'd post them here but even free they're still copyrighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back