Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASCE Wind Topographic Effect at Valleys

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdhpsu

Structural
Feb 18, 2015
In the continuation of Figure 6-4 in ASCE 7-05 or Figure 26.8-1 in 7-10, the chart "Parameters for Speed-Up Over Hills and Escarpments", the first Hill Shape has a note under it that says, "or valleys with negative H..." I cannot find anywhere else in the code that says this factor should be applied to a site near a valley. Nor do I understand how one would apply a negative height to the calculation of the K1 variable.
Does anyone have any insight to what this note is referencing or an opinion on if a topographic factor should be applied to a site near a large valley?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume that H starts at the main flat ground level. So a valley that is below the main flat ground level would always be negative. The calculation would be for the wind at the top of the valley. I would apply the factor to any buildings at the top of the valley.

Garth Dreger PE - AZ Phoenix area
As EOR's we should take the responsibility to design our structures to support the components we allow in our design per that industry standards.

I understand where the are going with this, effectively to reduce the pressure at the base of the valley for winds normal to a valley. But it does not seem to consider the funneling effect of increasing the wind speed for winds parallel to the valley floor and impacting the buildings in this area. I would consider this the far more critical direction.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

Thanks for you help guys,
I suppose I see where you are going Woodman treating a valley as a 2-D hill that's inside out, and if my site is in the bottom half it protects me from wind normal to the valley's length. M2, I think I agree with you that the funneling effects are really the biggest concern so I suppose this does not help me with them, and I guess that is a question for the local jurisdiction.
I guess I figured since this note does not seem consistent with the rest of this section in ASCE, that perhaps someone on here with a longer memory than mine might remember something from a previous edition of the code that has been removed, or if it was a hold over from some other reference. What are you going to do though, talk to the local code official I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back