Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASD book recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ble31980

Structural
May 31, 2007
US
I am a fairly recent grad (2 years ago) and I just started working with a company that uses ASD steel design a lot. My training and schooling has all been in LRFD and that is all I have reference books about, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book for ASD design? One book that I have found is Design of Steel Structures by Gaylord, et. al. It is a little older (early 70's), but would it still be sufficient? Thanks for your help.

ble31980

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have "Applied Structural Steel Design" by Limbrunner and Spiegel. It is not overly in depth with theory, but is very practical. It is based on ASD, however the new ASD (in the 13th edition steel manual) is completely different from the ASD in the Green Book. Now it is all based on the LRFD equations.

I have Salmon & Johnson, 3rd Edition. It has great sections on ASD.

You'll learn it just about in time for the 2005 Spec. to be adopted by all the bldg codes, LOL. Then it'll look just like what you did in school.

I have Salmon & Johnson, 2nd edition (I must be getting old!) Very good book.

I agree with 271828 that you will learn 'old' ASD just in time for it to be extinct. You might consider just taking the 13th Edition steel manual (Black Book) and working with that. When I got my copy of the 13th Edition, AISC included a CD with numerous design examples and explanations on it. If you have that CD, or can acquire it, this may be as good as place as any to start learning the 'new' ASD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back