Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASHRAE BEAP CERTIFICATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvacers

Mechanical
Jan 4, 2010
PH
has anybody here took this certification? is it really necessary? and what are the topics coverage for the examination?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, I have the certification. It's a good marketing tool, and some local government and school system boards are requiring it.

As for topics, go to the ASHRAE site and look under certifications. There's a good explanation and list of references there.

Good luck!

Goober Dave

Goober dave,

ACtually i already took the exam but unfortunately i failed the exam. referring to reference list most of the articles are about standards and i noticed during the examination that the questions are actually problem solvings. how did you get prepared for the examinations?

Would greatly appreciate your help

thanks

hvacers,

Most of the questions that involved solving problems were things I've done over and over again in my work (designing and modeling systems, and doing economic analysis) for 30 years, so my preparation was limited to the references (standards) cited to refresh myself on code requirements and things.

You might consider studying the ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals from cover to cover instead of just focusing on Chapter 19. The Association of Energy Engineers has some good materials too, and they offer an alternate certification that you might consider.

Good luck with it all!

Goober Dave

Hvacers,

I am taking the test in a couple of days and was wondering what type of questions are on the test. You said problem solving, but could you be more specific. I am familiar with code and standards but may be a bit rusty on the problem solving.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mac39,

We can't really give you very specific information, as we signed contracts before the test that said we wouldn't do so.

If you go to the BEAP section of the ASHRAE certifications page:

there are a few sample test questions in there. The examples are fairly representative of what you'll see on the exam.

Use good test-taking strategy:

Time is limited, and there are lots of questions.

1. Whip through there and answer all the questions you can do quickly without calculating or pondering.

2. Go back and whip through again, doing only the problems that you're sure of and that you can calculate quickly.

3. Go back to the beginning and step through the problems that will take more time to calculate. Skip any that you're not sure of. But keep an eye on the time.

4. If you're finished with all but the ones you aren't sure of, OR you're down to your last fifteen minutes, pop thru the remaining ones and take just a few seconds each. If you can eliminate any of the answers, do so, then take a guess and move to the next one (there's no penalty for wrong answers -- blank is the same as wrong).

5. If you have any time left, use it to review your work, or see if you can puzzle out a not-sure answer.

Good luck with your exam!

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Goober Dave,

That is really good advice but I took it in the am yesterday. Ended up not finishing 22 of the questions as I mis managed my time on calculations.

Aw, sorry about that Mac. Wish I had posted sooner, but I was not watching this thread.

That happens to a surprising number of people, so don't feel alone. I had a high school teacher who drilled that time-management list into us. There's another step for tests that penalize for wrong answers, but whenever a blank counts the same as a wrong, it's always best to click a random answer if you can. If you're going to spend the fee again, be sure and do that!

Good try!

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back