Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASHRAE CHE(Certified HVAC Engineer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Help you with what?

I didn't know this certification exists, but it looks like this is the guide. Did you already buy it and have a specific question?

You decide if it is useful to you. You also have to re-certify (cha-ching!$) every 3 years. I'd rather focus on tangible licenses unless you are already decked out on those. I'm curious how difficult the test is compared to PE exam or similar. It doesn't seem to have strict requirements who can take the test.

Na I did not buy it yet, it started back in 2019 I think. I am not fan of these certificate either but looks like it has some value to secure high paying job in middle east compared to the designers without the certificate.

Do you already have a license or whatever is legally required? I don't know if you have an equivalent to P.E. in the US, though. I first would try to acquire ALL legal licenses that are even remotely related to your work before spending time and money on unnecessary (legally speaking) certs.
A long list of certs looks great and might get you an interview, but in the end your boss comes with a new project and asks who can legally design and stamp it, and that is where licenses rule.

I'd ask potential clients and investigate first if it really has meaning to THEM. I work for an owner, and I bet 100% of people who are on the selection committee don't know what it is. And if they do, they would wonder if it is legally required or not. Hell, I had to google it when I saw your post. We often see people who DON'T have an actual license come up with those lesser certificates to make up for a lack of license (since a license is harder to obtain).

IMHO, those are money grabbing schemes. We have the PE license. But in theory I also could get a CEM (certified energy manager?), this ASHRAE thing and so on. I also bet that someone who passes PE, could pass any of the other tests. So you don't literally learn new things while studying. What they all have in common is that anyone who has the money can sit for the test.

That seems popular; I once interviewed someone for an engineering position, and he didn't have a degree, so he pulled out a stack of laminated certificates as proof of his qualification, but in the middle of the interview he couldn't even figure out what a 10% increase in his salary would be.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I do have an Engineering Degree in Mechanical, and I don't work in USA so I think I don't need to be legal there. but yes where ever I am working I am legal to work and legal to do the design and get the approval. on that now a days people with these certificate took over the jobs and recruiters also prefer the certifications over a proper degree. This is the only reason I was thinking to take this course. Otherwise I am working as MEP designer and I am familiar with all the necessary codes and standards like ASHRAE, IPC, NFPA etc. So I think I should not waste my time on things like that is what I have concluded from that.

I think many of those certifications are designed for people without the proper degree and/or license. That way they can show they made some effort already.

IMHO, if you have all the actually hard to obtain degrees and licenses, those certifications are obsolete and redundant. If you or your employer have time and cash to burn, and think there is that one client who may be impressed, it MAY be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back