Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME 1 PW 53.9 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chas49

Industrial
Jan 19, 2006
CA
I'm doing a vessel test plate that is 4.7" thick and has to be tested to PW 53.9. Everything is pretty standard with exception to the bend test.
53.9.1 says the width of the transverse bend specimen is to be 1.5 "T" which makes the specimen width 7".
Is this the true intent?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It appears correct with my reading of this. (4.7 X 1.5)= 7.05".....I have not been involved in any Section I Vessel construction, and therefore have not had any first hand knowledge dealing with this requirement. But, everything I have read points to this 1.5T requirement as far back as the 1977 Edition of Section I

FAQ731-376

I found this interesting and may be relative to the question you have posed regarding these bend tests.

PW-53.8 covers tensile test requirements for two types of specimens: a “joint test” specimen and a “weld metal” test specimen.
PW-53.9 establishes requirements for “free bend” tests as opposed to “guided bend” tests typically used for welding procedures & performance qualification covered in ASME Section IX.

FAQ731-376

Please read the additional text in PW-53.9.1. This is a bend test to demonstrate ductility of the production weld, full thickness and the width needs to be sufficent for a full thickness coupon. Also, the 1.5T is indeed correct. However, if this the bend coupon is too large to handle, please read the excerpt below..... from PW-53.9.1

.....When the capacity of
the available testing machines does not permit testing a
specimen of the full thickness of the welded plate, the
specimen may be cut with a thin saw into as many portions
of the thickness as necessary, each of which shall be tested
and shall meet the requirements.

Heres a question regarding that statement metengr....

.....When the capacity of the available testing machines does not permit testing a specimen of the full thickness of the welded plate,....

Does this only mean the thickness and not the width?

My first impression after reading this requirement of a performing a bend test was to utilize a guided bend test jig. A jig for the width of 7" does not work well..if at all...so, I would guess that the limitation of the testing machine only applies to the thickness of the specimen and not the width of the specimen...am I correct?

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back