Status
Not open for further replies.

Resegone

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2019
IT
Good morning everyone.

I'am in a border line situation.

In july 2019 ,as you know, it was released the new edition of the ASME.

In august 2019 we recevide a new order with the customer that asks to design a pressure vessel with the latest edition of the ASME, and from that date we begin the engineering.

So that's my problem which ASME i have to consider to design the pressure vessel?

It's a strange situation i think that design with ASME ed. 2017 is good but i' am not sure, considering that customer asks also the code stamp.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 2019 Edition is mandatory with any PO taken on/after January 1, 2020. The 2019 Edition is optional after issue July 1 2019 -December 31 2019

Im with what A_clark said.

oknow; I wouldnt go for that route. Bear in mind that the time between quotations and PO's can be very large (in our business, sometimes up to 4-5 years). We put applicable code editions in our quotes, so quote date determines code edition. Vice versa wouldnt work, becuase with 1 or 2 new editions of a code, a quotation may become technically different (sure, no single quotation is valid for 4-5 years, but with tehcnical complex projects the technical basis is more determinant than the cost aspect).

Resegone, best confirm with your customer what the expectations are.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

XL83NL...my position is based on what an AIA's opinion, ASME Team Leader and ASME Staff have indicated. See Section VIII Div.1 Appendix-43-2(a)(1). We all know what ASME stands for.

You may use Ed. 2017 for now, But if your MDR does not get signed before January 1, 2020, As per CL. 43-1 (b), critical changes in Ed. 2019 shall be considered by Manufacturer, and such changes shall be a matter of agreement between user and manufacturer.

Since there are Critical changes in Ed. 2019 (i.e. Flange De-rating calculation as per UG-44), You shall think of such situations at present Day!!!

In my opinion, one shall go with Ed. 2019

Thanks,

Rajput

oknow]XL83NL...my position is based on what an AIA's opinion, ASME Team Leader and ASME Staff have indicated. See Section VIII Div.1 Appendix-43-2(a)(1). We all know what ASME stands for.
You're right, I guess. In Europe, ASME isnt mandated by law. Hence, looking at code editions is done from a different perspective. The perspective I posted is the one we most often see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back