Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME 8 Div 1 certification process for PV

Status
Not open for further replies.

idlewatcher

Chemical
Apr 10, 2011
US
Hi all - just wanted to preface this thread by saying you guys are all fantastic contributors and I have learned quite a bit by reading through some of the responses.

My question however, is in regard to certifying PV's post-manufacturing. We have an ASME 8 Div 1 tank with 1 liquid phase inlet and 1 gas phase inlet, but we need a second liquid phase inlet installed. In speaking with some of the certifying authorities (BV, CCS, DNV, etc.), some say it would take 2 months just to get the drawing certified, not to mention the work to be done on the tank itself.

I am well aware that ASME 8 Div 1 only pertains to new builds.

Anyone have any idea about this sort of procedure? Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

-Paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on your jurisdiction, but someone with an R stamp could usually do this as an alteration under NBIC NB-23. You're still going to be referring back to VIII Div. 1 as the code of construction. Do you have more specific questions?

Repairs and alterations are done by R stamp holders, as trottiey mentioned. Go to this website:

Type in your jurisdiction (state or province) and R for the stamp and you will get a list of R certificate holders. Adding a fitting like an existing fitting is not a big deal. Not sure why anyone is talking about a certified drawing, that is not a Code requirement.

Good luck.

Depenging on your jurisdiction on AI requirements you may need a pressure vessel engineer to perform the calculations and review the drawing and procedure. I often perform suitability for service evaluations and calculations for the modification or rerating of pressure vessels. Feel free to email me with more detailed questions.

rkm502@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back