Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME Appendix 2 Fabricated Flanges

Status
Not open for further replies.

weed78

Mechanical
Mar 24, 2006
CA
A flange is designed to ASME Code Sect. VIII Div. I, Appendix 2 and manufactured in 3 x 120° segments welded together.
Do these butt welds require any NDT? Any references for this construction?
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

weed78, you do not mention materials or type of flange, but if a hub flange your proposed construction is specifically prohibited by Appendix 2, para 2-2. Also the Part governing the material (UCS for example) will specify whether RT is required, based on material thickness. I recommend you read 2-2 carefully as well as whichever Part covers your materials.

Ring flanges are often made as you propose.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks Mike,
In this case we have a 2 1/2" thick 304 SS flange and we would like to make it from 3 plate segments, no hub. The only issue, I believe, is radiography, and I just can't see this type of construction addressed anywhere. Do we need radiography of the three 2 1/2" thick welds?

weed78, Part UHA governs SS materials, UHA-33 governs radiography, which in turn refers to UW-11, requiring RT of buttwelds over 1 1/2" thick.

While it may not be explicitly called out I would consider this a catergory A joint, and would full RT.

In any case, I would full RT these welds regardless of specific requirements for my own piece of mind.

Regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back