Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME-Authorized Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

athilatt

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2009
US
I am working in Middle East,so I am not very much familiar with the terms/concepts of Authorized Inspector/National Board etc in US,even though I have got a vague idea of that.

Can I know some of the things below..
1)Who is conducting certifiction test for The Authorized Inspector(AI)
2)I heard AI-card and National Board card- if so,what is the difference between them..Does it mandatory an AI,earn both these cards..
3)Assume a vessel having U stamp,Does it require the vessel need NB certification also,what is the advantage of U stamp+NB certification

Hope for valuable opinions..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

athilatt (Mechanical)

IVY TECH COMMUNITY COLLEGE
BIOLER PRESSURE VESSEL
NATIONAL BOARD EXAM PREPARATION COURSE

All courses to date had 97% pass rate!
Rod Dowell
Manager
(812) 298-2492
rdowell3@ivytech.edu

Brenda McQueen
Assistant
(812) 298-2353

DO ADVANCE SEARCH FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ENG-TIPS.COM
bmcqueen@ivytech.edu

Answer: the National Board.
Each candidate for AI first becomes a NB Commissioned Inspector, see a link: Then he takes A-Endorsement exam at NB and becomes an AI.
Each AI is annually issued a Commissioned Inspector card with at least A-Endorsement from the NB. I never heard about a second card.
ASME Code does not require a NB certification. NB stamp with a NB number on the vessel nameplate means that the Vessel Manufacturer registered his Manufacturer's Data Report (MDR) with the National Board. It helps to receive a copy of the MDR from the National Board when necessary, for instance in case repair or alteration. Most of the States of the USA require a NB registration of each vessel.

Thanks LSThill and AIOR for you promt reply..

However,this part of world-Middle east(outside US), I have seen AI signing off MDR and witnessing U stamp or R stamp etc..punching on the Name plate.Rarely seen NB stamp.

In short,Vessels which requires Code stamps(U stamp etc), AI endorsement essential but NB endorsement(stamps) is not essential...Am I right?

Please provide valuable opinion..

The “NB” mark is used by Manufacturers to identify items registered with the National Board.
Registration of an item with the National Board involves the Manufacturer submitting an original Manufacturer’s Data Report to the National Board for permanent retention.

Here is a link to a brief history of NB registration found at the National Board website:

Also, see page 2 of the National Board Synopsis which provides a map of North America and summary information on each jurisdiction that requires NB registration.

Jurisdictional Authorities anywhere in the world will establish rules for NB registration. Locations outside North America is in accordance with the governing body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back