Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Authorized Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

abangbikerz

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2012
MY
can anyone explain to me the road to become asme AI. some said acquiring NB certification is equal to NB certification+API certification. I know about NB training course. but probably you guys know some trick up on your sleeve or some shortcut.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Typically, this is done by either working for a boiler/machinery insurance company and being sponsored by the company to obtain a commission issued by the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors or the other option is pass the NB commission test and seek employment with a State or Jurisdiction.

The key, as I think metengr referenced, you can pass the test with 100%, but if you are not working for an AIA, jurisdiction, or third-party agency recognized by the National Board, you cannot get a commission. There is no such think as an independent or freelance AI, like with an AWS Certified Welding Inspector.

There is no trick or shortcut I know of. You must meet a combination of experience and education requirements to be eligible to have a commission (though you can take the test without meeting these requirements). The only course I know of other then the in-house training provided by AIA agencies is by Ivy Tech Community College in Indiana (second link below). Excellent course, with great record for students passing, but a big commitment in time and money for an individual. First link below is to the "How to Become a Commissioned Inspector" tab on the National Board's website. This has all the information you need on what it takes. You can do it on your own without an employer's help or any training course ( I did that in 2005) but it takes a set of Code books ($$$$), and I would say some help in preparation, unless you have lots of Code experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back