Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME B.31.1-ASTM Materials 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giuss

Mechanical
Jan 18, 2007
IT
Hi,
i'm a piping material engineer, i have to prepare two piping line classes for Boiler external piping according to ASME B.31.1 code.
I reviewed a lot of old piping classes issued according to ASME B.31.1 design code. For all these specifications, materials were specified according to ASME standards (e.g. SA 106, SA105 etc) and never according to the corresponding ASTM material (A106, A105) as we usually do.
I've had a look at ASME B.31.1, but the allowable stress indicated in table A refer to ASTM materials, and i didn't find any indication in ASME B.31.1 not to use ASTM materials. The only indication that could justify the choice to specify only ASME materials is the following:

Boiler External Piping and Joint (BEP) — The ASME BPVC has total administrative jurisdiction (mandatory
certification by Code Symbol stamping, ASME Data Forms, and Authorized Inspection) of BEP. The ASME Section
Committee B31.1 has been assigned technical responsibility. Refer to ASME BPVC Section I Preamble, fifth, sixth,
and seventh paragraphs and ASME B31.1 Scope, para. 100.1.2(A). Applicable ASME B31.1 Editions and Addenda are
referenced in ASME BPVC Section I, PG-58.3.

Can someone help me to understand the matter?
have i to specify all ASME materials?

Thanks in advance.

Giuss

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For BEP there is a clause which requires that the materials be ASME specification materials (SA). See clause 123.1(D) and 123.2.2 for the specifics. It should also be noted that there are prohibitions against using some materials in BEP service. This is listed in the notes for the materials.

EJL

A large amount of the ASME materials are based on ASTM materials and as such can be used. In Section II of ASME for the appropriate material it will say if the material is equivalent to the ASTM material. Here is the excerpt form SA106 (Identical with ASTM A 106-95 except for editorial differences in 8.1, 13.4, and 24.1 and the deletion of ASTM caveat 1.5.)
and SA105 (Identical with ASTM Specification A 105/A 105M-03.)

Eliebl,
Thank you for the reference, but let me understand another thing:
(D) Materials conforming to ASME SA or SB specifications
may be used interchangeably with material specified
to the listed ASTM A or B specifications of the
same number, except where the requirements of para.
123.2.2 apply.

123.2.2 Boiler External Piping
(A) Materials for boiler external piping, as defined in
para. 100.1.2(A), shall be specified in accordance with
ASME SA, SB, or SFA specifications. Material produced
under an ASTM specification may be used, provided
that the requirements of the ASTM specification are
identical or more stringent than the ASME specification
for the Grade, Class, or Type produced. The material
manufacturer or component manufacturer shall certify,
with evidence acceptable to the Authorized Inspector,
that the ASME specification requirements have been
met..........

The material manufacturer or component manufacturer shall certify,with evidence acceptable to the Authorized Inspector,
that the ASME specification requirements have been
met..........What does it mean?????
If the ASTM A/B i'm using is identical to rhe relevant ASME SA/SB
what should the material manufacturer do? Apply a dual marking and provide a dual certificate?
What should i do? have i to ask the dual cert even if ASME II say that the spec is identical to the corresponding ASTM?
Gapinspect, i'm sorry, but i perfectly know which are the ASME specs identical to ASTM, the reason of my question is different:
I'm working on a big projects, with almost 100 piping line specs, so i'm trying to uniform as much as possible the component description in order to have as many as possible components with the same Ident Code to improve field interchangability of materials and material field management.
So, i'd like to specify ASTM materials also for BEP (obviously using B.31.1 Allowable Stresses for wall thk calculation, etc.), otherwise, if i specify SA materials i'd necessary have, sccording to my material database management system, different ident/mark codes.
Anyway Eliebl gave me the good reference, but i need to understand :''.......The material manufacturer or component manufacturer shall certify,with evidence acceptable to the Authorized Inspector,
that the ASME specification requirements........'', if i specify an ASTM material identical to ASME, without adding any information to manufacturer about ASME compliance and about the fact it will be installed in BEP lines my spec. is ASME B.31.1 compliant or not?

Thank you again

Giuss

Giuss;
Material can be dual certified by the supplier or the mill. The Inspector will review the material test reports (evidence) and verify that the MTR states ASME/ASTM certification.

In the case of BEP the material test report MUST show compilance with ASME. I understand that it causes problems with material control. In the refineries, upgraders and SAGD projects I have been involved it there is usually a seperate contractor for the boiler and the BEP as the remainder of the plant is B31.3. This keeps the material control and quality control requirements from getting confused.

You will not be able to get the AI to sign the data report for the boiler if the BEP does not use materials where the millcert (MTR) identifies the ASME material spec. I know that is the case in the jurisdiction where I work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back