Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME B16.5 design confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmerlob

Mechanical
Jan 5, 2012
EC
Sorry If I sound like a bit of a newbie here this is not really my line of expertise.

Is this slip-on flange design correct for a NPS20 inch pipe holding 1300 psi?

Regards,

RM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A) At what temperature?
B) I doubt I would use any slip-on flange at that pressure.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for the response Mike,

A) Its ambient temperature around 25C.

B) Could you elaborate why you wouldnt use it, and why would it be your first choice?

About that I also have a question on the standard that might be related, the copy I have says "slip on welding(NPS 1/2 to 2 1/2 only)" (right below the drawing on page 90)

But then they go ahead and give dimensions for them on all sizes, so its contradicting or I misunderstand.

Again thanks so much for the input.

typo...... B shouldave read

Could you elaborate why you wouldnt use it, what whould you use and why would it be your first choice?

rmerlob, the note would appear to apply to socket-weld flanges only (my older copy says to 3 NPS).

For a slip-on flange the welds will be two fillet welds (corner joints) and they would probably be rather large. The stress concentrations are not especially desirable. They are hard to NDE. I would more likely use a weld-neck flange and butt weld it. This weld can be x-rayed.

Regards,

Mike

1) Thats very weird, in mine it seems to be pretty clear (see attached) but why would they give you the dimensions then.

2) yes I guess being able to x-ray it is a big plus.

Setting that aside for a bit did I use the standard correctly?

I mean ambient temperature+1300 psi+ASTM A516 gr 65+NPS20 gives you that flange?

I just want to make sure that if need be I can use the same process to use a weld-neck flange and be confident I'm doing it right.

Regards,

RM

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=86518ad0-6ff2-4051-b46c-2b5fca082eb3&file=CLASS_600_flanges.JPG
BTW, of course I'm going to seek experienced help a bit later, this is some pre-project stuff, actually we have make an offer.

rmerlob, 1) As I said, my copy is older. Interesting, I'd like to get a look at a current one.
2) Yeah, I'd say you read it right. Material, temperature, read off a pressure.

Good luck,

Mike

Your attached dwg says B16.5-2003. Note that the latest edition of B16.5 is 2013.
Depending on your contract date, you'll probably have to stick to B16.5-2009.

Thanks xl83nl, do you know what differences the 2013 and 2009 edition has regarding this subject?

rmerlob,

The material specified on your drawing is ASTM A516 Gr. 65. This is a plate material.

Plate material is only allowed for blind flanges and reducing flanges without hubs. Please read the following sections in ASME B16.5:
Paragraph 1.1(b)
Note (b) in Table 1A
Paragraph 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back