ASME B31.1-Clause No.104.3 & 127.4.8-Branch connections without fittings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PL.Gowda

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2020
IN
Hi Everyone,

I'm working in one of the power project, where in many of the branch connections for IP and LP Piping were made directly welding the branch pipe in to the main pipe (run pipe) without any fittings (weldolet's, sockolets, half coupling or full coupling). My contractor is claiming that these pipe to pipe direct branch connections welds are full penetration butt welding as specified in Clause 127.4.8 of the code and hence acceptable 'as it is'. In view of these. need assistance from this esteemed forum for clarifying the below doubts.
1) Is there any size limitation for branch or main pipes for such direct welding. If so, what is the limitation for such branch connections
2) Is it design calculations are required for all types such branch connections to find out the reinforcement pad is required or not.

Request for your expert opinion to understand the relevant B31.1 Code clauses properly.

Regards
PL.Gowda

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you look at the code and its various sections to determine where such an answer may be found? Im not very familiar with B31.1, but B31.3 has such requirements when it comes to area replacement. Theyre probably also found in B31.1; I foudn the paragraph in under 20 secs! Im sure you can as well. If you have any further questions ater reading that para, please let us know.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back