Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME B31.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmnaFati

Mechanical
Aug 9, 2015
TN
Hi
I was asked to determine the allowable stress (theoretically without using software) according to the code ASME B31.1 ;
And as this is the first time I utlisie this code , I wonder is there a specified paragraph or a chapter to determine the allowable stress or I should read the whole code.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your question is far too vague.

Read the code, understand the intent, and how it is applied. This way you will be able to defend your conclusions with confidence.

#SectionIX ,
this is what i have been doing for three days ( reading all the chapters of that code and trying to understand them) , but my superior keeps rushing me, for me i think it is not that easy to understand a code such as B31.1 in a very short time, and that makes me feel confused

EmnaFati,
I will not criticise you as you appear to be trying to do the best you can.
I will criticise your "superior" who is pushing you to do something you are not qualified (or experienced) to do.
A qualified engineer is who this question should be directed to, not someone who is struggling to understand the code.
Regards,
DD

If you are asking about the basis for which the allowable stresses (as listed in Appendix A) are determined, then you should read 102.3. Note that 102.3.1(c) will also direct you to Section II, Part D, Appendix 1.

Feel free to return here if you have any questions after reading those specific sections.

thank you all, i just want to say that am not complaining about my superior, at contrary it's a chance for me to learn something new , new and great experience
Once again thank you all for reading my post and answering me

EmnaFati,

To further the other comments, it seems rather irresponsible of your superiors to place you in a position for failure. Your best recourse is to advise your superiors that your level of knowledge in this area is still developing and that you will need to defer to someone with more experience. If they don't respect you as a guardian of safety and compliance, and keeping their best interests (and yours, but don't tell them that) in mind, you may wish to re-evaluate your future with that company. It appears that you are looking to be the voice of reason. Stick to your guns...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back