Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME B31.3 2004 vs 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

srm7584

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2008
IN
Hi,
this is my first post.
I am required analyse the changes in ASME b31.3 2006 edition from 2004 edition, Since we were using 2004 edition till now for our piping analysis.Is there really a need to upgrade the software we are using to 2006? What are the changes that Really can be concern while using Autopipe which supports 2004 edition.
Looking for some of the expert inputs, so that I can kickstart my work.

Regards,
SRM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SRM,

Any firm that is offering engineering services that include piping engineering MUST have the latest versions (editions) of the applicable Codes and Standards. The latest edition of B31.3 is the 2006 edition. The Summary of Changes (over the 2004 edition) totals four pages. The date of issuance is May 31, 2007 (oops we missed by a bit).

Dr, Charles Becht wrote a suamary of the changes between the 2002 and 2004 issues of B31.3 and you can see it here:

That edition has some really important changes and offered some options. First of all be sure you are on-board with the concept of weld strength reduction factors. There have been some 2006 changes here but understanding the concept is important. Also be aware of Code Case 178 that provides a specific equation for the calculation of stresses due to sustained pressure and weight. Note that this is an equation that MAY be used (not Shall be used). I suppose the providers of stress analysis software will respond to these things soon will provide options to use the most recent changes. There have been some changes made to the Appendices of the 2006 edition - required reading.

Regards, John.

Thanks,
JohnBreen for ur input.

I started with those four pages of summary of changes. Weld strength factors were intoduced in 2004 edition, so they are included in present software version.

Looking for some more detailed inputs.

Thanks,
SRM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back