Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME B31.3 using A707 L3 CL3 Pipe Shell (allowable stress?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAYDEE23

Materials
Jun 16, 2009
US
Can you please inform me as to how I go about determining allowable stress values @ temperature for ASTM material A707 L3CL3?
I will be using this material, as specified by my customer, to make a section of, what is essentially straight pipe for a B31.3 application.

I understand section 323.1.2 Unlisted Materials of B31.3 and Appendix 5 of section 2.

I just do not understand where to get yield or tensile values at temperature for ASTM material.

Any help is much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yield and tensile may be found in ASME Sec II-D, however Im not 100% sure if II-D lists the real tensile values, if Im not mistaken it does this list these based on the ratio applied for section VIII, which differs from B31.3.
So for the B31.3 applicable tensile values you may have to convert the II-D tensile values. That would mean multiplying it be 4, dividing it by 3.5, if Im not mistaken.

Yield values are listed in table Y if Im not mistaken.

OK, i am hitting a wall. Everywhere i look seems to require yield strength at temperature to derive any sort of allowable stress.
This makes sense to me.
But where o where, in the world do i find stress curves for ASME unlisted materials (A707 GR3CL3 particularly)?
Im really in need of some guidance here.
Im reading myself in circles.

Im in
SecII-D, APPENDIX 10
B31.3 302.3.2 Bases for Design Stresses
and so on

any help much appreciated!

How do you design with unlisted materials then? I am most familiar with ASME and not familiar at all with API which this seems to be a common flange material for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back